Zach Lee Progress

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bhelmLSU, Aug 6, 2010.

1. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Here dude. You said he'd be great by the time he left LSU. I guess you're going to use the excuse that you didn't say the exact phrase "great QB". But you then went ahead to reference the position in the very next sentence.

When "greats" are compared, they are done so among those at their position. Clearly if you're claiming JJ to be "great" before his time is done, you're saying it's because of his abilities as a QB. He certainly can't "great" because of his sack totals as a LB now can he?

I even went on to further state that the only player currently on our roster that is on the verge of "greatness" is Patrick Peterson (but not to say that can't change, I said as of NOW). He's not in line to be a "great LSU Tiger" because of his TD total...he'll be there because of his shut-down corner skills.

Kevin Faulk is a GREAT LSU Tiger. Why? Because he holds MANY school records and SEC records as a RB. You wouldn't say Kevin Faulk is a great player because of what he did as a QB would you???

My point is that you implied he would be a great QB. WTF else would he be if he were "great"???? A kicker???

JJ may crack the top 10 statistically in numerous categories before he's done (and for the record, I hope he accomplishes this to go along with another solid season for the entire team), but you said it yourself, the situation at the QB position the past few years has been awful (one could argue that he accumulated all of those stats because for 3+ years, he was the best we had in a group of perpetually young and inexperienced QB's ) .

So, yes! I stand by my comments about JJ. He needs to improve. Last year he held the ball too long taking too many sacks. For periods of time, when he'd roll out, or when the pocket broke down, he'd lose himself on the field; he'd forget that "internal clock" and seem to half-a$$ it running out when defenders are drawing a bead on him (which is why I grew annoyed. The guy has 4.6 speed! That's "dual threat" time reguardless of what a recuiting site lists him as). At times I thought he threw the ball much too hard on RB swing passes and screens--and often off line. It was something we hadn't been exposed to in awhile (i.e. up until 3 years ago, we had a steady line of groomed upper classmen QB's, not true Freshmen/sophomores). It's a fact: This year he needs to show improvement. He's not "green" anymore.

I don't think JJ's total ****. But I think he's a long way off from being "great". Go back at my posts throughout most of last season. I defended JJ QUITE often! Citing youth and inexperience....but he's a Junior now. I can't keep defending him over the same things I did for the past two years. He needs to improve.

Happy???? Have I cleared it up enough for you? Can we consider this discussion over or do we still need to hash it out??

2. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

OK, but is Jacob Hester not a "great Tiger"? Don't think he holds many records like Faulk does. I guess I don't need to see records broken to consider someone great. Just a difference of definition of the word, and we use it in different contexts.

By the way, in his one year as starter, JJ is already in the top 10 in LSU history as a QB in several categories.

3. BostonBengal

Yes. Unequivically, Hester is a great Tiger. His consistant clutch performances game after game after game. His ability to seemingly ALWAYS get you that first down. Not to mention his dedication to his teammates and an advocate to LSU.

...so yeah, I see your point about Hester and the other definition of "great". But, please, at this point, what qualities JJ has that Hester did? you're grasping at straws, man.

4. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

No I'm not. Again, go read what I posted. "I fully expect JJ to be a great Tiger before his time here is done". Where did I say he is already a great Tiger? And I'm talking about my EXPECTATIONS!!!!!!!!
    Hester was a senior when 90% of his accomplishments took place...the ones that made him a "great Tiger".

5. BostonBengal

I guess you fail, too.

What leads you to believe that??:confused: JJ's just gonna all of a sudden accomplish all of those type things? I mean, sure, I'm all for it and it's not a bad thing. It would be great for the team if he did it. BUT....

6. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

Nice to see a thread get derailed with a tidy argument over semantics. Whoo! Geaux Zach Lee!

7. BostonBengal

Agreed.

8. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I didn't say JJ is a great Tiger. I certainly didn't say JJ is a great QB. If you cannot see that, I don't know what else to do. I have proven my exact words, and other than that, there is nothing I can do to explain myself.

I EXPECT JJ to be a great TIGER before he leaves LSU. You ask what leads me to believe that? I am a fan. But also, I can look at the situation and come to my personal opinion. I look at his stats compared to "great LSU QBs", and then realize that he also has downfalls, but downfalls that are typically those corrected by experience. I believe he will put it together...likely this season...and the sky's the limit after that. He has all the physical tools in the world to be a great LSU quarterback, but more importantly, I am seeing a dedication and desire to lead from him that will make him a great Tiger.

Geaux Zach Lee. I also think his presence and obvious built in leadership will push JJ.

9. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

I expected this thread to be great. But so far it has only been good. Maybe it will reach greatness on page 4.

1 person likes this.
  10. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Do you expect it to be great? And if so, what leads you to believe something like that? This thread hasn't displayed the greatness of other threads to this point, so you cannot possibly believe it has the opportunity to ever be a great thread.

2 people like this.