Zach Lee Progress

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bhelmLSU, Aug 6, 2010.

1. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Only 13 pages, you guys are wimps...lol

I hope we get Brissett this guy can play ball, this high school is not to far from my house, I have seen this kid.

Miles needs to sign another QB in this class. I dont blame him for this situation at all. Z. Lee went for the money after all his talk about wanting the college experience and wanting to be a leader and get in extra time with the receivers....

Oh well! I dont know what really happen with the Garrett situation, but the guy didnt want to compete.

2. Tigerbnd05

Tigerbnd05 National Champs 2003 2007

So your saying, if someone offered you over 4 million dollars (signing bonus) at the age of 18 to leave school and go play another game you love you wouldn't. Keep in mind the fact that the economy is not exactly great right now and we have no idea what kind of financial situation his family is in. Also keep in mind that most MLB teams set aside money, that the player can't touch till he quits baseball, to go back to school and get their education and should he decide to go back to school later.

3. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

Did Zach Lee use LSU? If you want to make the price go up to the Dodgers, nothing better than a viable alternative, like enrolling in college. Sounds like he played Les somewhat. Not as bad as Janzen Jackson, but somewhat.

Les needed to be prepared for this, and with throwing Garrett off the team, he is not well prepared for this. That is his responsibility, when you're the head man, you have to be prepared for the contingencies.

I guess its JJ, Lee, Bailey, Shepard for this year. Really need to take 2 QB in this class. Could we turn Ely back to us? Any good Juco out there for next season?

1 person likes this.
  4. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

While this sucks big time, there is an angle that we Tiger fans may need to consider. Especially since most are of the sentiment to give the kid props and congratulate him. The situation might be that ZL used LSU to get what he wanted out of the Dodgers. Coming into fall camp making a big splash and getting the media exposure he needed to pressure the Dodgers. A play of his hand that had more upside potential than downside. Barring injury the worst case scenario for him is he would have been a 2 sport athlete that could have raised his stock in both. A gamble worth taking.

1 person likes this.
  5. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

In a sense hindsight is 20/20 but you do have to plan for these things, but in Miles defense why waste time with Garrett if he didnt want to be here?

6. kcal

kcal Founding Member

given the dodgers history regarding the $$ spent signing their draft picks and the consensus opinion that ZL wasunsignable, that he wanted to be at LSU and play football, i am of the opinion that the young man simply got an offer he could not refuse.

with the potential ZL had, CLM would have been foolish not to sign him. a gamble worth taking indeed.

1 person likes this.
  7. Tigerbnd05

Tigerbnd05 National Champs 2003 2007

I have no doubt enrolling in school helped his cause, but I don't think he did it with intentions of screwing LSU or using LSU up the ante. He was here because he was preparing for his future which at the time he believed to be football at LSU. By all accounts, the reason he wasn't drafted higher was because he was thought to be "unsignable." All of the analysts were saying the same thing around draft day, that this was a throw away pick for LA. There is no way anyone could have known that the Dodgers would all of a sudden decide to actually open up the pocket book. He enrolled in school with the intentions of playing for LSU, not with the intentions of improving his signing bonus. The kid turned down 2.25 million earlier in the day. Can you really say you would have turned that kind of money down. All I know is I love LSU, but if I had his talent, and was in the same situation, I probably would have walked for 2.25 million, so if he turned that down, then I have to believe he really wanted to be here, but they trully made an offer he could not refuse.

I can't fault the kid, and I can't fault Miles for the Dodgers acting way outside the norm for their organization. All I can do is be worried about the current QB situation at LSU.

1 person likes this.
  8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

i don't fault the kid either, but i also don't think he ever intended on staying. I think he did use LSU as a bargaining chip.

Oh well, no point crying about it, where do we go from here?

1 person likes this.
  9. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

He wasn't exactly lured into baseball since it was his hometown team, but Joe Mauer was set to play QB at Florida State before being drafted as a catcher.

10. kcal

kcal Founding Member

you obviously purchased these shortly after midnight

your outrage would have been better served had it been expressed earlier in the day when lee initially turned down the dodgers offer