Zach Lee Progress

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bhelmLSU, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

CP, I'm quoting your post, but not aiming this at you specifically.

what would you have done different?

I don't know the Garrett Situation and what happened or why, so I'm gonna leave that one alone.

We had a full class last year. Oversigned actually.
    What other QB would have signed along with Lee? (and I ask this not knowing the answer myself)

What person on the planet predicted Lee would sign to play pro baseball.
    All the talk was that he was unsignable.

Who else should we have signed, and why didn't any of the brilliant minds here point that out DURING the recruiting season instead of waiting until after Lee signed to b!tch?

2. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I knew letting Hatch get away to Harvard was gonna come back to bite us in the arse...

3 people like this.
  3. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

With the economy in toilet like it's in...ZL would have been stupid not to take that kind of money.

I wish him nothing but the very best.

Now that that's over with....let's get ready for some :lsup: football.:thumb:
    :crystal:

1 person likes this.
  4. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

5. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

I've always hated the dodgers. I guess I was just ahead of my time.

6. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

To be honest and this may seem unrealistic, but ever since '08, I was hoping we would sign 2 QBs a couple of years in a row until we got more stable QB play.

Florida signed 2 in '07, Georgia signed 2 '09, as did Auburn, Ohio State signed 2 this year, Texas signed 2 this year, etc. so I know it can be done. We don't need to bring in 2 five star recruits, but maybe a top dog, and something in the Rohan Davey/Matt Mauck range, someone teachable and with potential.

Didn't Flynn (4*) sign with Russell (5*) in '04?

BUT I am not laying the blame on Miles for Lee leaving. Who, with any bit of gray matter, would turn down that kind of money? I'm not sure anyone expected this.

My point is that we have been very thin at QB for 2 years now and it looks pretty rough again, and if we do falter, this will be an excuse.

And just out of curiosity, is it wise to sign a player who is apparently being eyeballed by MLB at QB? To be the most important position on the field, isn't it scary knowing this dude plays two sports and is twice as likely to be injured? This isn't Jared Mitchell, a 3rd or 4th WR, we're talking about. This is the future leader of the entire offense. Not being facetious here. Just a thought.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Fishhead again."

I lol'd.

7. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

Except for when he plays the Astros.

8. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Miles did sign 2 QBs in 2009.

Florida signed none in '08, 1 in '09.
    Georgia signed one in '10.
    Auburn signed one in '10.
    Ohio St has only signed one/year.
    Texas signed one in '09, and none in '08.
    Oh, and Saban @ LSU followed Russell and Flynn with....none.

The point is that schools do occasionally sign 2 QBs in a class, as Miles did in '09, and may have to again in '11. But they do not sign multiple QBs in back to back classes. Russell was given a full yr to develop at QB, something no other school offered, and most people felt would not happen here either. But Miles kept his word and let him try. It didn't work.

Apparently Garrett either refused to step up when asked, was intimidated by Zach, or pissed because he didn't rise to 2nd string and the coaches let him go. It happens. It's terrible luck for us to have lost 3 QB recruits in 2 yrs. One unable to perform, one(allegedly) refusing to perform, and one getting millions to play baseball instead. But it happened, and Miles will have to fix it.

Laying this at his feet is about a desire to blame Miles for the rotation of the earth, not about what actually happened.

9. Weisguy

Weisguy Veteran Member

How often does it work out where a baseball team lures a football/baseball player with a lot of money to only play baseball? The last high profile guy I remember is Drew Henson, whom the Yankees lured away from Michigan, and he ended up a bust in both sports.

10. boblinfoto

boblinfoto Ohio LSU fan/artist

I am very disappointed by Lee's decision. By all indications, it appeared he was staying at LSU. So much for "wanting the whole college experience". Considering the fact that he hadn't heard from the Dodger organization since they drafted him a few months back, and the fact he was not dealing with the Dodgers through an agent, I'm thinking he had already made up his mind if it all came together on the last day.