Your kids: Stop hitting and yelling

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex_B, Sep 6, 2013.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

My Mom raised me by Dr. Spock. My Dad raised me by "Spare the Rod and Spoil the Child". All-in-all the carrot and the stick worked better than the carrot alone or the stick alone. I got yelled at only when I wasn't paying attention. I got whipped only when I was defiant or intractable. But I was always aware of the potential consequences.

I hated being treated like a child when I was a child, so my folks rewarded me for good behavior by treating me like an adult. When I became petulant, they treated me like a child. I think I grew up a bit faster because of it. I certainly learned how to manipulate my parents with it. Children can be good actors.

2. plotalot

plotalot Veteran Member

He changed his stance on circumcision. On everything else, he seemed to remain steadfast.

3. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Well, once mine got to be mid-teenagers, and they knew everything, I started to call them dumb azzes...kinda like Red on the 70's show. Unfortunately, at 22 and 20 they still are. From my worldview, the outlook is bleak for a speedy recovery.

4. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

My youngest turns 10 monday and I can count on one hand how many times i've had to spank him. All I have to do is give him the look and raise my voice slightly and his bottom lip starts to quiver. But once he's calmed down I talk to him about his inappropriate behavior and he changes it. It's getting easier now since all I have to do is take away his ps3, or his ipod, or his kindle... he hates having things taken away.