Your kids: Stop hitting and yelling

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex_B, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

Looks like nothing works.. haha

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...2147114522.html?mod=WSJ_LifeStyle_Lifestyle_5

Snip:

2. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

3. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Here's the issue. Are goal is not to have happy kids. We want productive successful adults. Many academics and drug crazed parents don't seem to understand that minor disconnect.

LSUTiga and stevescookin like this.
  4. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

That study would have more credibility if Pitt still had Johnny Majors as football coach !!! :cool:

5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

It depends on what you are yelling. I yelled at my son when I felt he deserved it, but I always dealt with the behavior in question. There's a big difference in yelling about a "stupid decision" and just calling a child stupid. And you always have to finish on a positive note; let the child know that you know he is capable of better decisions.

6. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

You've got my vote for Superintendent.

Wording is everything. Have to be VERY clear THEY get it too though. I mean "get it" as in you don't mean THEY are stupid. If I yelled it was after asking calmly MANY TIMES first.

I do often remind myself that they don't have the same thought processes we/adults do and adolescents' brains are literally not developed. They know right from wrong, obviously, but things like keeping room neat, etc.

7. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I think it all depends on the child. If I raise my voice at my son he crumbles. I have to play a steady hand with him, and not get frustrated. My daughter... I could hit her with a bat and she would laugh.

HalloweenRun likes this.
  8. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I agree with this. Also, I would never yell at my kids that they were stupid. I yell at times to get their attention such as "I said, shut the door" but I don't yell because they got at trouble at school or anything like that. I find it works better to discuss those things calmly and let them know what's expected of them. But it just depends. Every once in a while I have to show my son that I'm the alpha in the house. He's headstrong and stubborn. By the way, he's 3.

9. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

No such dude, brah. It was Dr. Bones and Mr. Spock. Spock was one smart dude, but not a doctor.

10. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

My grandfather could just look at me and I would piss my pants.

With my girls, one is 4 and the other 2, they are so different. With my oldest, all I have to do is take her shoes, yea her shoes, and she gets back in line. LOL.

Now the youngest, she is so hard-headed. Just like me. He slaps us back! Its funny and cute the way she does it, so it becomes hard for me to not laugh when she swings back at my wife. However we do have to snip it in the bud. We have started to put her in the corner, after the spanking. Something about starring at a wall for an hour has helped. We also take things she likes like her blanket, toys, etc.