WW era finally over; names, qualities for next coach

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CagedTiger, Mar 19, 2022.

1. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

musselman is 57. thats young? what is old?

shane0911 likes this.
  2. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

That would be a huge hire. He's a proven winner and you know what they say, "a happy wife, a happy life!"

3. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

I've read on other message boards that Scott appears to be the front runner. People are throwing around $10 million a year! I just find that hard to believe that any basketball coach at LSU is going to make $10 million a year, but that may be the going rate to convince a top coach to come to a school that may be going on probation. College coaching salaries - particularly in the major sports - have gone beyond ridiculous!

TCUTiger likes this.
  4. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

It’s all a matter of perspective. If you are in your 30’s, 57 is old. If you are in your late 60’s, 57 is a seasoned adult.

5. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

right i am aware of that. obviously i mean by coaching standards. i dont mean, for example nursing home standards. lets not pretend there was no context or that we dont understand the context.

brian kelly is 60, mulkey 59. 2 and 3 years away from musselman. i dont think anyone would consider kelly or mulkey a young coach.

6. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

need scott drew to sign this week, and punishments to be announced and only a fine and loss of scholarships. keep nickleberry as a recruiter.

then we need drew to bring 5 star 4th overall recruit keyonte goerge with him from baylor. then we need the players who committed to wade to be sad they cant play for wade, but console themselves by still going to LSU because wade cant coach for a few years.

so that would mean next year

guard: keyonte george, adam miller, brandon murray. i think gaines will leave and go play maybe for georgia.

forwards and wings: wilkinson, o'neal, philips, fudge

centers: reid, traore

colbert and ezewiro probably leave, drew brings in a transfer PG with experience.

7. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

I will throw out a contrarian hypothesis to you belief thar Woodward will be focusing on a young and upcoming coach. With upcoming sanctions hanging over our heads (including the dreaded loss of institutional control) i think he will be focusing on a highly respected established coach with a winning record and who has a squeaky clean image. He will be trying to send out the message to the NCAA that LSU hasn’t lost control and is serious about doing things according to the rules. That will be the key to avoiding crippling sanctions. Our new coach may even possibly be someone near the end of his career who will stay 2-3 years as a caretaker, clean up our image, then slide into retirement.

kluke likes this.
  8. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

That’s quite a Christmas list! Unfortunately, Christmas is long past and Santa won't be coming around again well after Woodward names a new head basketball coach.

9. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

Nick Saban is 70 and still kicking arse! Yes, I think 57 is still young!

10. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

The good news for LSU is that the transfer portal and NIL allows a program the opportunity to make a quick turnaround, if they can land the right players. My biggest concern with the NCAA is the post season ban. Most of top players want to go to a winning program where they can experience playing in the big dance, so that may turn some players away. With NCAA sanctions looming, it's going to be interesting to see how LSU will use the transfer portal and NIL to offset some of those limitations.

65Grad likes this.