WW era finally over; names, qualities for next coach

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CagedTiger, Mar 19, 2022.

1. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

Now that we can finally move on from the WW debacle, what direction do you see LSU moving and what are some coaches you would like to see LSU make a run at?

Here a few names that I find interesting:
    Scott Drew - I think Drew is a great coach with a lot of Louisiana ties. He took over a Baylor program that was about as low as a program could go and now has a top 5-10 program in the country. If any coach can win in Waco, they must be a good coach. Yes, I know Mulkey also coached there and won, which is another reason I would love to land Drew. He appears to be a class act and recruits well, but I hear he makes a lot of money. Maybe Mulkey and Woodward can pull it off!

Eric Musselman
    - I think he's a great coach and I think he would do an incredible job at LSU. He's young, energetic and I'm sure the LSU students/fans would fall in love with the guy, but I think it would be a lateral move for him. IMO, I think Arkansas is a basketball school first, which will never be the case at LSU. He's also re-built that program from the bottom up and it's hard to leave a place that has your footprint on it. I'm also not a fan of hiring coaches within your own conference, but he brings a lot of positives.

Mark Adams
    - Stepped into a difficult situation at Texas Tech after Chris Beard left for Texas, but he has his team playing really well. Just not sure he's seasoned enough, but he has beaten Kansas and Baylor, which speaks volumes. He's also done a great job considering the school is located in Lubbock, Texas, which I have no clue where that it located.

Grant McCasland, North Texas - If we can't get Scott Drew, maybe we get one of his former assistants. In his five seasons as a DI coach, he has four 20 win seasons. He's won at every place he's been. He won a national title as a JUCO coach and won 82% of his games as a D2 coach. He can clearly coach, but my concern is, can he coach at this elite level?

If I could hand pick, I would go with Drew because of his proven record of success and Louisiana ties, which wouldn't be the first time we've had a coach "come home." Either way, I'm confident in Woodward's choices and excited about the future of the BB program. Due to the uncertainty of the program, it will most likely take a large load of money to lure a great coach to the bayou, but the good news is Woodward has taken the "garbage" to the road and the future looks bright!

So who would you like to see LSU take a look at?

ROY_LA_CA likes this.
  2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Because Wade got caught up by an illegal wire tap by the FBI I would hardly categorize his tenure as a "debacle". That is just flat out disingenuous

3. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Well if he gets us hammered for loss of institutional control it’s a debacle.

65Grad and Hou-duco like this.
  4. kcal

kcal Founding Member

the irony of the ww tenure is there is a proven formula for a winning coach: young, mid-major proven, good recruiter (I know: the jokes write themselves)
    passionate, etc.

I don’t think LSU can land a scott drew without a huge guaranteed contract with the nc2a shoe yet to drop… see it much more like we’re going to get someone who’s been recently sleeping on a sofa…

5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

And with that in mind, I know a lot of people think highly of the guy at Murray St. Not sure he'd fit the "splash hire" profile Woodward is known for, though.

6. 65Grad

65Grad Maturity is Overrated

Until we find out what our NCAA penalties are going to be I doubt we will be able to hire a top tier coach and if we get the "death penalty" I'm not even sure Shane would be available.:(

Winston1 and shane0911 like this.
  7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I'm holding out until he offers me the beer drinking team job

65Grad likes this.
  8. LSUDAILY

LSUDAILY Freshman

Saw yesterday that Virginia HC Tony Bennett is in the mix

9. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

I saw Bennett's name too and I think he would do a great job. I just wonder why he would leave Virginia because he's built that program to a pretty elite level where the LSU job is basically a total reconstruction. Don't get me wrong because I would love to have him. The Murray State coach is definitely one of the hottest coaches out there and I think LSU might be an attractive offer for him to get into a stronger conference, especially if LSU makes a commitment to upgrade the facilities.

10. LSUDAILY

LSUDAILY Freshman

I saw that his wife is an LSU alum and he was a finalist when wade got the job and would have taken it then