WTF is wrong with our country?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUpride123, Feb 4, 2014.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

maybe they feel bad because we fucked mexico so hard on that whole texas california deal..... hahaha

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Id be surprised if half of them knew what the hell cinco de drinko was for anyway

3. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Here's the truth, especially in that hood....Hispanics do not focus on education nearly as much as they stress family obligations in terms of working. Kids are more likely to drop out to "work" with their parents at the farm, landscaping, sewing, etc than they are to pursue a college education which of course, requires some amount of decent grades. Mexico's history isn't being discussed in these homes, at least not enough that the kids today would really understand, appreciate, or care. The Battle of Puebla is only regionally celebrated in Mexico and it's not on the level of independence. It would be like Americans celebrating the Battle of Yorktown while living in England.

It's nothing more to those Hispanic kids than an "in your face" moment to the non-Hispanic (mostly white) kids.

shane0911 likes this.
  4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I hear ya @uscvball

Personally, I love that damn holiday. It is my favorite and it isn't even close. There are no trees and 3 tons of bullshit to haul down from the attic, there are no turkeys to fry, or eggs to fill with candy and hide so they can be found by my lawnmower 3 weeks later. There are no riff raff inlaws to put up with, or company parties or any of that crap. Just beer and tacos on a nice sunny day on the patio of some local establishment. Oh and an FU to france which is always the icing on the cake.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Now that right there doesn't need a special day in California. I would just call that Taco Tuesday at any local Mexican watering hole. $1 tacos and beer, $2 margaritas.

I'm sending my kids to school with American themed shirts that day.

LSUDad likes this.
  7. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

An update....
    "The Supreme Court rejected a free-speech appeal Monday from several California high school students who were told they could not wear a shirt emblazoned with an American flag on the Cinco de Mayo holiday.

The court's action has the effect of upholding school officials who said they acted because they feared an outbreak of fighting between white and Mexican American students.

The court's action sets no legal precedent, but it raises questions about whether students have meaningful free-speech rights on matters that may provoke controversy....Los Angeles lawyer William Becker, who sued on behalf of the parents, called the court’s decision a victory for “bullies” and a defeat for free speech. “This opens the door for a school to suppress any viewpoints that are opposed by a band of vocal and violent bullies. The Mexican holiday on May 5 had heightened the tension.

On that day in 2010, the principal told several white students they must remove their shirts featuring an American flag or go home.

They went home but, with the help of their parents, later sued the school officials for violating their rights under the 1st Amendment.

Federal judges in San Francisco rejected their free-speech claim on the grounds that the school officials had a reasonable fear that their shirts could provoke fighting or a disruption of the school's activities"

I have to laugh at the term "Mexican holiday". Mexico celebrates on Sept 16th. There is only one state in Mexico that celebrates on May 5th. Teachers and admins reacting out of fear is pathetic.

LSUDad and shane0911 like this.
  8. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

I support a school's right to administer a dress code. All schools should require a uniform anyway and be done with all of this. School is for learning not making statements.