WTF is wrong with our country?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUpride123, Feb 4, 2014.

1. kluke

kluke Founding Member

This feels like one of those stories were there is important information left out.

2. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

I read a local (to Ft Collins) article earlier that said the reason it was rejected was because of it being called "Merica" Day. Supposedly, the admin thought it would just be an opportunity for the kids to dress and act like rednecks. I'll see if I can find it.

All of the fake outrage about the Coke Super Bowl ad is much worse than this, IMO. That shit is just embarrassing on so many levels.

3. kluke

kluke Founding Member

WTF - They got something against 'Necks'?!! They disrespected my people!! Now I'm pissed. :)

4. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I disagree with this. It is hardly a "free" education. Taxes and hands out from public schools are getting more excessive every year. Then include all the fundraisers and co-marketing with local restaurants and retailers. For all the money I spend, I would prefer vouchers so I could have a choice. And I don't know about other districts and states but most schools in CA have restrictions on clothing that appears "pro military".

Agreed. Waaaay too many b.s. "days" in public school while basic education is on the back burner. We have pajama day, crazy hair day, neon day, nerd day, sports team day, rainbow by grade shirt day, blah blah blah. But no Halloween, no Holiday, no Memorial Day.

LSUDad likes this.
  5. Contained Chaos

Good grief. Nitpick much? I suppose next you're going to tell me that it costs you some small amount of money to drive your car on a road. And I guess it costs you to breathe since your taxes help fund the EPA, who ensures that the air is clean.

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

If this would have been something like banning Memorial Day or Veterans Day, I would understand, but Americans are fat and lazy and wouldn't sacrifice a bag of Cheetos for anything noble if it didn't pay off for them in some way. Yes I'm one of them and I suck too.

Contained Chaos likes this.
  7. Contained Chaos

It's really just a convenient way for people to feel like uber-patriot freedom fighters. Apparently, a bunch of PO'd people took to the street leading into the HS and stood around waving flags all day. The ultimate sacrifice. :rolleyes:

8. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

The "media" likes to cherry pick stories like this because it fits whatever narrative they are peddling.

LSUDad likes this.
  9. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

It may seem like a nitpick but from where I sit, the fees I pay in addition to taxes are not small. When CA faced severe budget cuts, the gap in education funding started to expand and parents were essentially being "billed" for everything from school supplies to uniforms to field trips. A lawsuit was filed, and we now have AB1575 which, funny enough, is supposed to guarantee a free education. The reality is different. While schools and teachers can't ask or demand money for things, it is made clear that if you want your child to participate fully in the education process being offered, you need to make a "donation". And as always happens, there are a small percent of families who pay the fees and the larger percent who skate by.

Every year, a list is sent home of school supplies that the "classroom" needs. We get inundated with programs that our kids need to do to raise money for the school. The PTA hits up parents hard for straight donations so classroom sizes can be kept down and we can keep libraries open. Field trips, reading books, party donations, art programs, assemblies, kleenex, antibacterial soap, and on and on and on and on. I can only speak for my own experience but when added up, I am paying well over $3k a year above taxes for my kids to get a "free" education. That isn't nitpicking for me.

LSUDad likes this.
  10. Contained Chaos

That is way off topic, and does nothing to counter my point. In general, our public education system is funded by taxes, which are paid even by parents of kids who go to private schools. So, yes; it's nitpicking. I'm sorry that you live in the tax capital of the world, but you probably get what you pay for.