WTF is wrong with our country?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUpride123, Feb 4, 2014.

1. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

OK it is from Fox, but its not about Obama so give it a shot.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/02/03/todd-starnes-cant-celebrate-america-school-says/

"Students and parents at a Colorado high school are outraged after administrators turned down their request for a spirit week day honoring America because it might offend non-Americans."

“They said they didn’t want to offend anyone from other countries or immigrants,” a 16-year-old member of the student council told me. “They just really did not want to make anyone feel uncomfortable.”

2. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

pretty stupid and someone should be fired.

3. plotalot

plotalot Veteran Member

WTF? Seriously doubt anyone from another country would be offended, given the opportunity many would join the celebration. Most of them come here because they like America. So what if someone from another country is offended. what are they going to do? Leave? What's the fucking problem with that?

gyver likes this.
  4. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Isn't every day "America Day"? I don't really give a shit about this story because it's inconsequential nationalism is stupid, but lets take a look at that article:

Where's the uproar over these kids disrespecting the name of our country? Come on, patriots. Get it together!

You aren't sacrificing jack shit. This is one single day out of an entire lifetime of entitlement and freedom. Life goes on.

Bull. I'm sure there are at least a dozen American flags around that school. This is overly dramatic.

Pure conjecture. No one is taking offense at the "values and traditions". It may have been a questionable, PC move by the administration, but this is a far cry from true oppression. These kids are still getting a free education and live in a civilized. free society where they can do and say essentially anything they want (as evidenced by the article, itself).

It's easy to sit there and criticize the admins for this move, but let's not allow the "victims" to overstate what they're being "subjected" to.

LSUDad and LSUMASTERMIND like this.
  5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

My first thought is . . . why does a school need to invent so may phony celebration days like "Winter Spirit Week", "My Country Monday", and "'Merica Day". Is there any time left for reading, writing and arithmetic?

I mean, we already have Independence Day to celebrate being American and Flag Day to celebrate the US Flag. There is St. Patricks day to celebrate Irish heritage, Cinco de Mayo to celebrate Hispanic Heritage, Black History Month, Mardi Gras, and Shark Week. I'm sure that we all enjoy Confederate Memorial Day and break out our helms and battles axes for Viking Heritage Day. No? It seems like we need to set aside some special time to celebrate studying and getting some work done.

Seriously, a lot depends on the makeup of the school and the nature of the celebration. If a western school is 75% Hispanic and they want to spend a week asking people to dress up like Uncle Sam, cheer for good old Manifest Destiny, reenact the invasion and occupation of Mexico City, and Remember the Alamo . . . weeeel, that might be inappropriate and you might be a redneck.

If a school is lily-white in Utah, you can have a "Mormons are the Chosen People week", wear prairie dresses and have multiple girlfriends and get away with it. Likewise an inner-city truly multi-ethnic school with Irish, Italian, African, Chinese, Spanish, and Indian ethnicities all represented, it's probably best not to get caught up in ethnic heritage at all, because there is always a fight waiting to happen. In this case celebrating American heritage (we're all in this together) might work out well, as long as it isn't entirely focused on English-heritage 13 colony stuff.

In the absence of something sinister or absurd and unneeded political correctness, I tend to say let the Principals make the call. They know the school better than anyone and they will take the pressure for the consequences of any action or non-action.

LSUDad and LSUMASTERMIND like this.
  6. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Fort Collins is nearly 83% white, and about 11% Hispanic. It's big news when that many white people can't get everything they want.

7. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

Pussification of America 101.......if you aren't proud to live in this country, or any country you choose to live in for that matter, go find another one you can be proud of. People are too fucking sensitive.

LSUDad, HalloweenRun and uscvball like this.
  8. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Good points Chaos.

My only issues is that they stopped to think about people from "other" county's being offended.

HalloweenRun likes this.
  9. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

Those kids in Colorado need to have a Don't Shoot Your Fellow Students and Teachers Celebration Day.

10. kluke

kluke Founding Member

Not sure I understand why the propose celebration should make anyone uncomfortable. The point about them being forced to participate in Cinco de Mayo is interesting if the school is 83% white to 11% Hispanic as Chaos says. And Red's right about all the celebration days; Twin day and PJ Day. PJ Day may be a valid reason to celebrate depending the girls PJs.