WR DeAngelo Benton

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by FriedBoudinBall, Sep 20, 2008.

1. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Re: DeAngelo Benton - what ever happened to him?

Actually , I was agreeing with you. I think its a wild statement, when the guy hasnt hit the field yet for us.

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Benton is on the same level as a Julio Jones or AJ Green.

We just need to see it transfer to the college level.

I believe it will.

3. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

I'm not taking ANYTHING away from Julio Jones. He's a proven monster. D-Lo is not...

That's the thing fellas. Will it translate. The point is (and sorry for not expounding...got tired of typing, lol), as far as atheticism, he has him trumped. Julio Jones is an incredible player and will give us fits for at least 3 years. He's already great and will be great in the NFL. He's already translated to the college level. What Julio seems to have that D-Lo has lacked so far is confidence. The mental aspect is what could keep Julio ahead of D-Lo. But as far as pure talent, D-Lo can do everything Julio can do, but the reverse isn't true. Julio is not as fluid as D-Lo. Of course, D-Lo has to get in school, stay in school, get his mental game up, and prove it on the field. Bottom line is, Alabama has Julio, so they're not to concerned with not having D-Lo...or AJ Green...etc. Hopefully, the same can be said next year if and when the homey finally takes the field.

Think of it this way...the difference between T.O. and Randy Moss ON THE FIELD, was always that T.O. could take a short pass and turn it into a huge gain on pure athleticism. Moss hasn't been known to that. What he's been known for is being uncheckable...running past his defender on deep routes and outjumping DBs on red zone passes. But it's well known T.O. can do that as well. Neither is bad to have ON THE FIELD. But based on the number of things they can do respectively, I've always felt T.O. was more complete. Now off the field is a different story for those two...

Dallas Jackson of Rivals felt the only thing keeping D-Lo from being the #1 ranked WR last year as a post-grad was the fact that he was post-grad and their were questions about his ability to actually get in school and play. The only reason he wasn't #1 as a senior is his future teammate (TT) and they were said to be a virtual toss-up.

Rueben is better than both of em...LOL, just had to make another controversial statement...

4. LSUMASTERMIND

nupe, in your honest opinion where does Rueben end up.

5. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

Nupe, in my honest opinion, when it's all said and done I think he will end up at LSU. I think he is smart to explore his options, and truth be told, of his top 5, he can't really go wrong with any of them as far as his future is concerned. I mean if he has pro-talent, it will show at LSU, Bama, Miami, or USC. So in the end it's about where his heart is at. The lure of the SEC, Tiger Stadium on a Saturday night, and those Waterfords that are already sitting there should prove to be too much to turn away from. We can't deny that Saban is a master, and Miami kids rarely flame out in the NFL even if the team doesn't do so well, but LSU is building it's on legacy.

I know the prospect of lining up opposite Julio Jones is intriguing for a kid who wants to win AND showcase himself...but like I implied earlier TT and D-Lo are pretty talented too...

I know we would all have liked to see D-Lo on the field earlier, but he could prove to be a blessing in disguise as it pertains to keeping RR in state. And it certainly doesn't hurt that the secondary is improving. This is a kid that thinks about all that. How good are the corners I'll practice against everyday? Are they good enough to make me better and me make them better in return? Very, very cerebral kid. Remember last year he lined up against probably the best DB in the state last year in Bud Patterson everyday in practice. Damn shame Bud's not living up to his potential...

6. LSUMASTERMIND

I understand that, I wish every recruit, thought the way he did. But I think he ends up a Tiger. With those 3 you just mention and Shepard, Lee, Jefferson or the other kid. It will be unstoppable.

7. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I am not worried about Randle, he will be a Tiger.

8. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

boy, i hope that you are accurate. this class is firming up to become legendary.

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Benton says he will arrive on the LSU campus in January to officially enroll.

He is taking a couple of classes and needs an "A" and "B" and is on pace to make an "A" in both classes.

I look for him to take over the 3rd WR spot in 09 and make an immediate impact.

Lafell, Toliver and Benton. Throw in Peterson, Tolliver and Randle for good measure.

10. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

Ahhhh, my kingdom for a quarterback, and a couple big strong hogs on the o-line!