WR DeAngelo Benton

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by FriedBoudinBall, Sep 20, 2008.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Re: Benton signs with Auburn per Rivals Radio

Finally came out today and said he had decided on Auburn the night before NSD and nothing was mentioned about him being pressured to do so. He supposedly loved his visit to Auburn (which is not what was reported initially) and had a real decision to make of LSU vs Auburn.

He told the Auburn coaches the night before NSD he was signing his letter to go there.

FWIW.

2. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I think Deangelo Benton has shown nothing but class in the strange end to his recruitment. He had the oppotunity to "explain his side" like Mr. Randle did and put ER and LSU in a bad light and he did not! If he had really decided to accept AU's scholarship offer the night before, then CLM wouldn't have been so terse about Benton not having an offer from LSU on NSD and Mr. Randle wouldn't have scrambled so much to control damage.

By the way, I also think this is a good reflection on the new coaching staff at Auburn. They really had an opportunity to put LSU in a bad light and didn't as well.

How do you think the Kiffin and Orgeron regime would have handled it? Probably with just one more "secondary violation" maybe?

3. CParso

CParso Founding Member

What could they have said? That Benton wanted to come to LSU, but we're mean & pulled his scholarship so he ended up there?

That doesn't exactly make them look good being his second choice...

4. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

But it would make us look worse and give them something to use against us next year.

5. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

You're right. There's not much they could have said themselves. But I was thinking they could have had others say Benson fell in their laps because Emmett Randle forced Miles to yank his offer. That's what I think the Tennessee group would have done in a heartbeat.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Publicly, it would have made them look bad. Privately . . . they will use it against us anyway. Every school we compete against will, too, even though they all do the same thing. But Emmett Randle had to make this public for some reason and now it hurts LSU, it hurt him, and it hurts his son.