Wounded Warrior Project

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUTiga, Jan 9, 2016.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Man last night I got to be around some heroes. I was in a group with some injured war heros and even though some were missing a limb, etc. you would have never known. In fact I was told one had lost a leg but do not know which one it was. There was one big man (biggest man I've ever seen in person) who'd lost an eye but he shot a deer yesterday. No pussies here. Some bad asses. There was an eerie silence about them that exuded confidence.

It all started Thursday on the way home from work when I got a call. I was asked if I would cook some cafish on the bllezes for some veterans who were wounded in action. For you non-coonasses, "on the bllezes" is in a black pot over an open fire.

The guys I camp with were playing a big role in hosting some veterans who were coming in association with the wounded warrior project. asking so I said sure and asked how many and he said about 20 people. 8 were veterans and the rest were local volunteers who were taking the guests hunting, etc.

One of the guests was from California with another one from New York so we had quite the cross-section represented to say the least. With us coonass cajuns, they saw and tasted some things they'd never had before. There was boudin left over from lunch- they'd been at it since the morning. Another guy there was cooking pork grr lee ads which is marinated pork, I think.

I'm not sure the details of the itinerary they followed but do know each veteran was given a Benelli shotgun at some function for them the night before. All of these guys hunted. Some on the property and others taken to local hunting clubs of friends. 3 hogs and 2 deer killed yesterday evening. Not sure about this morning cause I went run some hoop nets and cleaned fish. They called for me to go back but I'm so dam tired and the weather is turning cold so I may not leave my warm bed.

I kinda want to go back to chat more because I was pretty locked in with the cooking last night and didn't get to chit chat as much as I wanted to. Didn't even get to meet each guest cause there was rain coming and as soon as everyone ate I began packing up my pots, kitchen and stuff to beat the rain.

WHICH IS THE POINT OF THE THREAD, how do our injured veterans get chosen for participation in this project? I plan to ask my hunting buddies next time I see them but didn't want to last night cause I didn't want any of the guests to feel "differently" about being there. I wanted them to just feel like one of the gang since they were with people they'd only met the day before- some last night. I'm anxious to find out how they get chosen and how everything is coordinated.

I know we have several veterans here. I hope discussing this is not offensive, or tacky. If it is, I apologize and just report the post and one of our mods, who is a veteran himself, can delete it.

2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

If someone wants to participate they can sign up on the website. They serve vets and service members who incurred a physical or mental injury, illness, or wound, co-incident to their military service on or after 9/11. Different folks need different things. I think they try to match people with what they want or are interested in. Families can also register. They hold regional events and there is a pretty big online community.

You can host your own fundraiser or event.

3. LSUTiga

I talked to the landowner where we cooked. He must be confused cause he said one of the guys told him his Sergeant chose and they (at least two) were still active and stationed at Ft. Bragg. I do remember one saying he was from North Carolina. Maybe the property owner was confused.

4. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

My trout fishing club, I am no longer active (not in area anymore), has done a lot with Wounded Warriors. Unanimously those that have participated have been uplifted and are better people for it. Strongly urge anyone and everyone to get involved!

GiantDuckFan, ParadiseiNC and LSUTiga like this.
  5. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

That doesn't necessarily make him confused. They could still be active (it's vets or service members) and post-physical injury or they could be PTSD post-treatment. They just have to have been in the military AFTER 9/11 and have sustained an injury, either physical or mental or an illness.

6. LSUTiga

Oh okay.

7. LSUTiga

Well no wonder. I found out today that one of the 7 was an ex Seal and the rest were Green Beret. I noticed one carried a knife holstered upside down. Wanted to much to ask why cause I'd never seen that. I can now imagine he can probably swipe, throw and stick it in a target very accurately.

8. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

No such thing.

It's easier to access, particularly if it's a shoulder harness. Was he carrying on the leg, shoulder, or scout at the back?

9. LSUTiga

Good call on my wording.

On the knife he was carrying it on his side, from the belt.

10. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Most will carry on the opposite side of their dominant hand (gun goes on dominant side). So consider if you are a righty and you reach across to grab the handle. Your hand will be on the grip properly only if it's in a "commando carry". If the tip is down the grip would be awkward.

LSUTiga likes this.