Woman says Judge Roy Moore molested her when she was 14

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Thanks. Just read this dribble the horrors of Christians and Jews and was about to respond.

2. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

Actually @LaSalleAve is correct. The term Judeo-Christian does indeed denote shared values of the Jewish and Christian faiths but those shared values are best outlined in the Old Testament. Judaism does not recognize the New Testament. Christianity focuses mainly on the New Testament and the teachings of Jesus Christ, hence the name Christianity. If you remove the New Testament you might as well be Jewish.

3. Tiger in NC

No, you don't get to change the meaning of something just because you want it to fit your political agenda. This has become all too common and is part of the problem. We have a bunch of people out there saying that they are Christians and that they are Evangelicals who don't have a fucking clue what being one means. Your post, if it is meant to be taken literally, is a perfect example of this.

4. Tiger in NC

Well he was completely wrong so if that is what you were about to say then you would have been dribbling the same stream of drool from your mouth that he was. So, by all means, go ahead and respond to what I said. I want you to.

5. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

I think @Bengal B is more accurate and isn’t talking about religion but a way of secular life distilled from the common precepts of the two. It came from 18th & 19th century rationalism. Actually it was originally the White Anglo Saxon Protestant work ethic and is based on a Northern European construct. It’s a generalization to be sure but looking back on the last 500 years of progress and prosperity that the WEST has brought to the world it’s accurate. Likewise there has been significant contributions made by our Jewish brothers that justify using Judeo-Christian. I don’t see it as a religious designation but a way of looking at and living in the world that demands effort and acceptance of personal responsibility to be whole. Unfortunately WASP and now Judeo-Christian aren’t politically correct anymore.
    I agree many fail to hold or even ascribe to that tenants but that doesn’t invalidate them.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

That's exactly what I meant. Thanks for typing all that. Now I don't have to.

7. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

And both of you typed it out better than me. :)

kcal likes this.
  8. Tiger in NC

Good Post Winston but I disagree with the premise of it and here is why.

The definition of Judeo-Christian values is of or relating to the religious writings, beliefs, values or traditions held in common by Judaism and Christianity. It is, by it's very existence, religious in nature because the teachings and writings are the catalyst for the behavior of those who adhere to it's tenets. So while I understand that you are describing aspects of the secular life that are a result of the teachings and writings, or at least your perception of them, would they have not engaged in those behaviors without the teachings and writings? If so, then it makes the religion itself irrelevant because the behavior would have been the same without it's teachings. If no, then it has to be religious by it's very nature.

Historically I don't disagree with anything you've said here, but it also illustrates my original issue that we are living in a post-truth society where terms that have clear meaning are re-purposed to fit neatly into a political agenda. The term Judeo-Christian values means exactly what the definition of it says. However, the term began gaining steam in the mid 20th century as a refutation of atheistic and communistic beliefs of the old USSR. It has since morphed into a term used by the right to describe the way of life or society that they desire which does indeed mirror a lot of the values promoted in the religious texts of the both Jews and Christians. So, again, it is a religious term.

If you are a Christian then they haven't been politically correct since Jesus Christ was born.

9. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

You can count on Winston for an elegant post with enough words to fill a novel. He means well.

10. Tiger in NC

Winston articulates his position well. You should try it out some time

Winston1 and GiantDuckFan like this.