Winter Olympics.....

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by LaSalleAve, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

As les Miles would put it. "Tonight we did not finish first. This team has a want to win."

It was better stated by the late and great Vince Lombardi. "Winning isn't everything. Its the only thing."

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

here you go martin.

[​IMG]

3. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

is that her brother?

4. LaSalleAve

damn i didn't even realize there was a guy in that pic. :hihi:

5. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

In the Gold medal game between the USA and Canada women hockey teams, ranked #1 and #2 in the world, Canada is up 2-0 going into the last period. Only 20 minutes left for the US women to pull off the come-back. If they lose, they get the Silver.

This is how the two teams did so far in this Olympics...

Canada
    Won 18-0 over #15 Slovakia
    Won 10-1 over #5 Switzerland
    Won 13-1 over #4 Sweden
    Won 5-0 over #3 Finland (semifinal round/final four)

:usaflagwaUSA:usaflagwa
    Won 12-1 over #7 China
    Won 13-0 over #6 Russia
    Won 6-0 over #3 Finland (Finland won the Bronze)
    Won 9-1 over #4 Sweden (seminfinal round/final four)

[​IMG]
    :usaflagwaUS Team Captain, 26-year-old center Natalie Darwitz (5'2, 143). University of Minnesota grad. In the 2010 Olympics, she has 4 goals and 7 assists (#1 on the team in assists).

[​IMG]
    :usaflagwaUS Team Assistant Captain, 30-year-old defender Angela Ruggiero (5'8, 190). Harvard grad. In the 2010 Olympics, she has 3 goals and 2 assists.

[​IMG]
    :usaflagwaUS Team Assistant Captain, 27-year-old forward Julie Chu (5'8, 147). Harvard grad. In the 2010 Olympics, she has 2 goals and 4 assists.

[​IMG]
    :usaflagwaUS Team Assistant Captain, 27-year-old forward Jenny Potter (5'4, 146), with her children, Maddy and Cullen. Univ of Minnesota grad. In the 2010 Olympics, she has 6 goals (#1 on the team) and 5 assists.

[​IMG]
    :usaflagwa22-year-old forward Angie Keseley (5'7, 148). University of Wisconsin grad. Missed the 2010 Olympic team by a hairlength... was the last person cut in the final cut in Dec (when the last two people were cut). She led the Wisconsin Badgers to three National Championships (2006, 2007 and 2009).

[​IMG]
    :usaflagwa22-year-old forward Gigi Marvin (5'8, 168). Univ. of Minnesota grad. In the 2010 Olympics, she has 3 assists.

6. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

And it's over. The reigning World Champions since they won the World Championship in 2008 and again in 2009, #1-ranked :usaflagwaUSA:usaflagwa gets upset by #2 Canada 2-0 in Canada in a stadium full of Canadian fans, including Wayne "The Great One" Gretzky . The Canadians are going nuts in the stadium right now (gag). Hopefully the USA women will get revenge in the 2010 World Championships, which are coming up soon.

7. LaSalleAve

Apparently there is some controversy because the Canadian women celebrated by smoking cigars and drinking alcohol on the ice, including players that are under 20. Only Americans would be outraged by this, let them celebrate.

8. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

the us olympic committee got their panties wadded over the snow boarder who was seen partying with his medals and a pic of him holding one just below his belt as a chick kissed it. oh, the horror. the kid got sent home, for it. official story was he volunteered to leave. yeah, right.

i do see that the problem with the canuks partying over their gold was that it happened AT the olympic venue, ON the ice. not because the girls were smoking cigars, but because of underage drinking on what is essentially govt property of an olympic venue. i mean, it was breaking the law when it comes down to it, as innocent a celebration as it may have been. i have no idea what underage drinking laws and enforcement are like in canada. but yes, if that had happened here, there would be hell to pay, just because of the perceived different set of rules for olympic athletes over underage drinking. and maybe there should/will be admonishment of some sort, but i dont think they should be punished the way the escape goated snow boarder was. it all depends on how seriously they take underage drinking laws on if there will be any sort of scolding.

9. LaSalleAve

Legal Drinking Age in Canada - Definition of Legal Drinking Age in Canada

The legal drinking age in the individual provinces and territories of Canada is

Alberta - 18
    British Columbia - 19
    Manitoba - 18
    New Brunswick - 19
    Newfoundland and Labrador - 19
    Northwest Territories - 19
    Nova Scotia - 19
    Nunavut - 19
    Ontario - 19
    Prince Edward Island - 19
    Quebec - 18
    Saksatchewan - 19
    Yukon Territory - 19

10. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

like i said, dont know what the law enforcement is on those things there. all i know to go by is what i see in my own state which has very tough laws on underage drinking, even on social house parties hosted by parents at private residences. if kids are caught drinking under age at a private party at a private residence, the parents present are arrested. and yes, it is a law that is enforced. every spring there are articles about parents busted for hosting graduation parties where the kids are drinking.

so if this happened in oklahoma, there would be holy hell to pay. i can envision coaches without a job if it happened here.