Will Brees do it tonight?

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by LaSalleAve, Dec 26, 2011.

1. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

Brees does it on a TD pass to Sproles!

Way to go, Drew!!

Saintslogo

2. JohnnyTiger

JohnnyTiger LSU Fan

It's cool that Sproles caught the pass, as it connects his San Diego past and his NO present and future.

3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Had me nervous at the end. I know he would have gotten it quickly next week if it didn't go down tonight, but I'm sure they didn't want to have to talk about it all week.

Anyone catch 9's post game locker room talk on ESPN? In acknowledging the contributions of everyone in the organization to breaking the record, he included the equipment guys "who rub down my balls." Everyone got a kick out of that comment.

Re the comments on how much easier QBs have it today than in Marino's day. This is absolutely true. But, 2 observations to make. First (and ESPN pointed this one out, good job, stats guys) the difference league-wide in passing yards per game in 1984 (the year Marino set the record) compared to this year is just 15 yards a game. So it really hasn't made that dramatic a difference. Second, if QBs today have it so much easier, why isn't the record just getting smeared by 10 or 12 guys? Brees almost had it in '08, no one even approached it in '09 or '10, and at most, 2 others will pass Marino next week. The rules may favor QBs, but it still takes a very special talent to put up numbers like that.

1 person likes this.
  4. Darth

Darth Dark Lord of the SEC

Why did Dan Marino make a comment like that the night Drew breaks the record. What a sh!tty thing to do. Let Drew have his moment. Wait until tomorrow to cry about it. I guess it's easier to win Superbowls now days too, right? Geez

5. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

If there's ever a season for Co-MVPs, this would be it. Agreed that Rodgers has had an amazing season, but so has Drew and it would be a travesty if he (Drew) is not recognized as such.

6. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Great point. i hadn't thought about a co-MVPs. Your point would be especially true if we get to the SB and they don't.

7. JohnnyTiger

JohnnyTiger LSU Fan

Marino never won the big game; that record was pretty much all he had, and now it's gone. Some bitterness is understandable.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Ok so quarterbacks didn't have the rules protecting them back then like they do now, but I think that's insignificant. The athletes on defense are unlike anything Dan Marino ever had to play against. They are bigger, stronger, and faster, and Drew is puny compared to Marino in his prime. Oh, and one more thing, Drew has something Dan will never have..... A ring....

1 person likes this.
  9. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

I'm happy to say that I got to see Drew Brees break the record in person.

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

did i mention i saw the ultimate fighter finale in person?