Why we should be thankful for Cam Newton - in the long run

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Robidoux87, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

Auburn's undefeated season last year means that Gene Chizik will be at that school for at least 2-3 years longer. I truly believe that he will spend the next few years turning in mediocre (at best) seasons, will have to be fired, leaving a new coach to come in and "rebuild."

This hire was a total head-scratcher to begin with, as Chizik spent his last year at Iowa State going 0-8 in the conference. Now let's take a look at his three seasons in the SEC:

2009: 8-5 (3-5)
    2010: 14-0 (8-0)
    2011: 7-5* (4-4)
    * Needed a miracle to defeat Utah St. at home

Without a once-in-a-generation unstoppable force at QB, I don't think this guy can win. So it follows that I don't believe that Auburn will be the formidable rival we've come to expect over the past 20 years as long as Chizik is at the helm.

2. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Interesting take, but shortsighted, IMO.

I can remember the same exact comments being stated about Les Miles on multiple occasions ..... many of which were from LSU fans on this very forum.

You give waaay too much credit to Cam Newton.

3. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

So, what? Every fanbase has it's share of unresonable fans. Doesn't invalidate any criticisms of CGC. Les Miles won at least 11 games in his first 3 seasons at LSU. That's consistency, whereas CGC appeared to catch lightning in a bottle last year. And besides, who was Miles' Cam Newton?

Be honest. After watching Auburn not improve one iota this season, do you really feel good about the direction of the program? If so, why? What is there to look back on from this campaign that gives hope for the future?

Well, Fairely was a big part of it, too. But don't be naive. AU would have probably dropped 4 games last year without Cam. And now Gus looks a hell of a lot like Gary Crowton without his superstar.

4. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

Do you have an updated stance?

Contained Chaos likes this.
  5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

The Chiz rag is now old and crusted up.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  6. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

Things are bad when caddy didn't show up the week we played them. No ProudTiger either. Might not here from them till a coaching change is made. When Ole Miss brings you in for homecoming game... :p

tirk likes this.