Why not 12-0 in 2010??

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerCliff, Mar 15, 2010.

1. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

I don't have the answer to that question. I can tell you who it isn't, but I've been doing that for a few years now. At least I'm willing to admit there's a problem with the current state of the program. Its the first step in the 12-step program.

You generally enjoy critical analysis and statistics. I would like to hear your thoughts on the information presented from the Lazare article.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Nope. I remember our last coach losing to UAB with mathematical skill and surgeon-like precision. He later lost to State and to the University of Monroe Louisiana with mathematical skill and surgeon-like precision, for you guys.

You win some, you lose some.

3. TigerCliff

TigerCliff Veteran Member

Why do I think LSU could run the table?

1.- We are LSU and we have won 2 BCS titles in the last few years.

2.- Les is our head coach and he won it all in 2007.

3.- We have great young talent coming in and I think we will be one of the strongest pass D's in the country with a amazing group of DB's.

4.- I think we are going to be able to run the ball. For me this will be a cure all for what was a major problem last year.

5.- Shep will be a impact player every game and will change the tone of LSU football in 2010.

You see I am a forward thinking person while most football fans are wait and see. I am seeing what is going to happen while many are still talking about what has happened.

:tigereye:cliff

12-0 in 2010 oh yea :insane: not

4. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

That's fine, I don't necessary disagree as far as losses go. There isn't a good one when you want to win championships. The accumulative affect will get anyone fired in time. But there are shortcuts to the process.

To suggest those random bad losses will equal or change how LSU fans feel about losing to the likes of their most bitter rival's is rediculas. Two straight years of losing to Alabama, Florida, Ole Miss is not cutting it with Purple Nation. If LSU goes 0 and 3 against these bitter rivals again, somebody is going to be going all "Yosemite SAM" on their head coach. LSU is not rebuilding.

If LSU does lose, Miles is better off if it is to the likes of West Virgina or North Carolina or frankly anyone else. Otherwise if it's the big three again for the third straight year with this incredible talent "That's all Folks."

5. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

I actually agree with all those points. Up to this point I don't think LSU has gotten an appropriate return on its post-2007 investment in Les. It also concerns me greatly that most of the same offensive coaches who contributed heavily to last year's lack of production are still here. But if you're a realist then you also should acknowledge that we are stuck with Miles through this season and probably through at least 2011, like it or not. Why? The possible #1 class we have coming in next year, and the buyout. Fire Miles for another 4-5 loss season and recruiting will be a disaster. This worries me more than our ability to replace Les with a high-caliber coach. His national reputation took a huge hit last year, and the more we have of those 2008 and 2009 seasons with the talent level we keep bringing in, the more his stock will sink. If you don't believe me, count how many times the "Clock it!" replay shows up on ESPN and CBS this year. And there's still not a huge market of big-name coaches out there that LSU would have the luxury of picking and choosing from. Having said that, I've been impressed so far with the moves he's made this spring. He seems to be taking a much more active role in the direction of the offense, and you'll notice we haven't heard a word from the "Les is a zombie" contingent. Whether that translates on the field or not remains to be seen, and I'll reserve judgment until season's end. I'm not willing to write off Les yet as a coach, but we know and he knows that he has to step it up this season.

As for running the table in the SEC, I will always put that scenario in the highly unlikely category, no matter who the HC is or the talent level, for the simple fact that we are the only school who MUST play Bama and Florida EVERY year, with one of those always on the road.

6. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

There is also keeping the process in perspective. Les canned Perrilloux 2 years ago, and we started basically redshirt frosh at QB the last 2 years. At the time, everyone said "Geaux Les", let's have discipline on this team, you're doing what's right for the program. Well, we were going to take a hit in offensive execution, especially since we went 3 years without taking a QB except for Perrilloux. Now, that was Saban's first to last season, Saban's last season (which is when Les came in and pulled RP back from a Texas commit as Saban had no QB for a commit for his second year in a row), and Les's first season. That hurt us, bad.

If RP had stayed at LSU, what would our record have been last season? Nobody knows, but I think it would have been better than 9-3 IMO. Bama may well not be nat. champs last season.

Les made a mistake with the co-DC model in 2008. The 2009 O didn't click. He fixed the DC think last season, its up to him to fix the O this season. We'll see. It's up to Les to keep us stocked in QBs so we don't have to start redshirt or true frosh, looks like we are getting there, and we've taken a QB every year, solved that problem. Saban did a poor job picking his OC for his first year and it cost Bama an embarrassing loss to ULM. He fixed it, Bama improved.

Bama got good while Auburn and LSU went through down years. I think the west will be more competitive, if you want a more competitive game than we gave you last year. Bama had, and will again have the edge at QB and RB (Ingram and Richardson are great), but we'll see.

7. captainpodnuh

Taking a page from Red...

1. While factual in nature, this has no bearing on the 2010 season. The stats above concerning the significant decline in All-SEC players does not trend well.
    2. While factual in nature, this has no bearing on the 2010 team. There are players from the 2007 roster that are still here in 2010. Refer to the downward trend in All-SEC players since 2007. Saban developed most of the starters on the 2007 team, not Miles.
    3. Zone Defenses are not typically considered amongst the strongest defenses in college football. Zone defense got Lou Tepper run out of town on the first bus he could find. There are very few Patrick Peterson's out there that can step right onto the field and produce at an All-SEC level. Miles' trends indicate he has trouble developing outstanding HS talent. We all predicted Loston would be an impact player as a FR and he got a RS. Jai Eugene is moving to S because we are thin back there. I expect Brandon Taylor to be much improved over last season. Replacing a Chad Jones with a Jai Eugene doesn't exactly create warm and fuzzy.
    4. While Miles has indicated he will emphasize running the ball in 2010, the OL is more unproven than last year, with new players stepping in. We have 2 RBs coming off knee injuries. There is young, unproven talent at the RB position, but no 5-star guys waiting to get on the field.
    5. Shep has the potential to be an impact player IF the coaches use him to his abilities and scheme to his strengths. He was significantly underutilized last year. Miles said all year that they wanted to use him more, but every week, Miles had some excuse for not playing the kid. As much upside as this kid has, he is but one player. An unproven QB and unproven OL will have to produce to make him effective, and that's only considering the OC puts the ball in his hands in space.

6. You didn't have a 6, but we are taking a serious hit on Special Teams with the loss of TH. Our average starting field position could be impacted by as much as 10+ yards this year.

I love optimists, and know plenty of them. There is nothing wrong with seeing a glass as half full. There is a problem with seeing a half full glass and calling it full.

I want our team to be everything. I want us to be in the hunt every year. I want opponents to think, crap, we have LSU this week. I want LSU to out and say, we are LSU. Here we come. Try and stop us.

8. TigerCliff

TigerCliff Veteran Member

I don't agree with above about ST

I think shep and crew will allow as good or better

shep has the wiggle and speed

looking forward to seeing if Ford is going to be our F-150

I talked to many Bama fans this weekend and they are most concerned with LSU this coming year. I told them 2009 was a dream year for them but we will be waiting early in Nov for the Tide to Roll into BR.

9. captainpodnuh

Did you even read my post which stated, "I did not include 2008 and 2009 in the average, max, and low for Miles because it's not fair to judge those classes yet because most of those kids still have 2-4 years left to achieve All-SEC status."

You base your argument solely on the LB position and draft status? This is the first year that LSU is not likely to have a player drafted in the first round.

Do you remember JoJo Lafell's nickname early in his career? Let me remind you. It was "Butterfingers."

I don't care who started Rivals. Lazare is a pretty good beat writer for LSU. The stats in a well-written article give some some nice talking points. Do I think the article was written to inflate Saban? Not a chance. It was written for Tigerbait, and LSU fans during the height of recruiting.

I don't have Saban-envy. I just reported some stats that my opinion that Miles isn't developing talent at the same rate that Saban did. If Miles can put 6 on the All-SEC team this year, than I will gladly retract my post. Will that happen this year? Not likely. Do I want Saban back? Not really. He's moved on. So have we. Is there another head coach out there that can develop players as well as Saban? I would think there are quite a few. Will Miles stink up the place again in 2010? The Magic 8 Ball says, "Better not tell you now."

10. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Sounds reasonable, you should consider the entire process as far as being realistic about your team. My point to red is that all losses are not created equal. These rival teams in the west cannot dominate to the point there is a consistent pattern (like 3 years in a row to all three big rivals.) The process of future employment gets escalated.

The "eye test" seems to matter most when it comes to what fans want to see about their team. I definitely don't want to see a more competitive game next season. we get LSU's best effort anyway. They commit to the run and play physical.

You are right about Saban's first year adjustments with the OC. It's why many here question Miles commitment to the run now. He corrected the defense with new leadership. He chose not to with the offense.

I'm just not sure so much rest with Jefferson in the first place, some do. Nice thing is having a better decision maker and a physically strong running game will go further than just a maturing quarterback.