Why did the Saints select Antonion Pittman?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by pjnchamps, Apr 29, 2007.

1. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I say Deuce has a good 3 years left in him now with Bush splitting the reps.

2. LSUalum24

LSUalum24 Founding Member

Pittman is a replacement for Stecker. I just don't get all the real small school draft selections. I understand about finding diamonds in the rough, but it's more then just a trend with the Saints this year.

3. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

I'm kinda disappointed that the Saints didn't pick up a Tiger. If I was the GM, I'd have a standing rule that we draft at least one Tiger per year, if for no other reason, the revenue from Tiger fans wanting to watch former Tigers play.

4. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

The Saints don't need the extra revenue like they have in past years. Especially with a waitlist that is 25,000 strong!

5. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

Well, not to be a stick in the mud, but it's pretty obvious that our strength last year was the passing game. As solid as our defense was, I thought it was pretty liable in the secondary. Fred Thomas was killin' us.

Yet, they take Meachum in the first and a CB in the second, and wait until the 5th and 7th to draft any more defense. Not too impressed this year. Hopefully our success will continue.

6. lsugrad00

lsugrad00 Founding Member

This years draft was all about depth for the Saints.

Saint's management felt that they addressed the needs of the defense through free agency this year. They picked up Jason David(CB), Brian Simmons(LB), and Kevin Kaesviharn(S) and expect those players to fill the holes in the defense. They also signed Charles Grant to a long term contract so they didn't need to replace him.

it does freak me out that they have this love affair with guys from small schools, but I assume that they saw something they liked in private workouts or on tape.

7. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

The Saints didn't have a second round pick, they drafted Meachem(WR)in the 1st, Alleman (OG) in the 3rd, Pittman (RB) in the 4th, Bushrod(OT) also in the 4th and didn't pick up a CB until Jones in the 5th. They finished with Mitchell (LB) in the 7th. I'm also not impressed with the picks or that it is not heavier on the defensive side of the ball.

8. lsugrad00

lsugrad00 Founding Member

The Saints drafted Usama Young CB from Kent State with their first pick on the 3rd round.

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I think the Saints addressed the pressing defensive needs (namely the secondary) via free agency. Plus Roman Harper is coming back from injury. I don't think the Pittman pick was a way of trying to unload Deuce, rather, a pick they rated as a second rounder still available in the 4th round. It was too good to pass up and you can never score enough points. I am not concerned about the size of the school the player comes from. Look at Colston and a lot of other 1st rate NFLers. I'd have liked a stud linebacker, but there just weren't any out there.

10. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I see David as being an upgrade but I'm not so sure about the others. The saints needed major help on D and it looks like they got almost none through both the draft and free agency.