Who should really be in the BCS Title Game

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerJag, Dec 27, 2007.

1. ufgatorz1

ufgatorz1 Registered Gator

I still believe LSU deserves to be there. But I feel that OU or USC deserve to be there more than tOSU does. A USC/LSU matchup would rock. True all the above have losses that maybe should not have occurred (Arkansas, Colorado, Stanford) but I think these three teams are the three best in the country at this time. I still wonder what OU, USC, or tOSU's record would be right now if they had to endure an SEC schedule. And as much as I hate to admit it UGA has to be considered as well. True they did not win thier division due to the tie-break with UT, but even though UT beat them, they beat us, and we destroyed UT, but you could run that circle with any team in the SEC. The league is just tough.

The way the BCS works I guess it pretty much turned out the way the system is designed. Both LSU and tOSU have a right to be there, I just personally believe there are a couple of teams that deserve it more than tOSU does. But there were many that said UF did not deserve to be there last year and we all know what happened. If the Tigers show up with their "A" game intact the SEC should have back to back champions. LSU is the better team, but you have to put in on the field and close the deal which I think you guys can do.

2. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

I think that was mainly the media though. Most here at tf thought that the Gators deserved it and of course here in Orlando all the Gator fans sure thought they deserved it! :grin:

3. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

I disagree. I think the voters would have found the VT/LSU match-up "sexy". The two teams are ranked 1-2 in the computers and OSU would have been dropped by the "humans" for the same arguments going on now. The BC loss during the regular season killed them but if that hadn't have happened I'd think VT would have been 1, LSU 2 and OSU outside looking in.

4. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

And how did you come to this conclusion? Based on your favorite colors that the teams wear?

5. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Then what about Oklahoma? Last year, they were in the same spot they were in this year -- 10-2 (Big 12 Champions) -- and then they lost to a little WAC team from Boise, Idaho in the Fiesta Bowl. And what about the 2004 NC, when Oklahoma got disgraced 55-19? Or what about the 2003 NC, when Oklahoma proved they didn't even belong there -- LSU had 312 total yards, Oklahoma had 154 -- which was not surprising, being that they had just gotten blown out in the the Big 12 Championship, 35-7.

6. buckeye78

buckeye78 Founding Member

Excellent point. I would also like to remind people of the 95 Florida Gators who got pummeled by Nebraska for the NC, then rebounded and demolished FSU the next year to win the NC. I don't see a blowout in this game to be sure, but history is just that, history. Last years game is irrelevant, as the majority of the starters, in particular, the leadership, from that team is playing on sundays now.

7. ufgatorz1

No I actually like the OSU uniforms better especially their home jerseys..... Again this is just my thoughts but I feel that in particular USC had a tougher road to get to where they are. Mind you I do not care at all for USC, Pete Carroll or anything about USC, never have. I actually have more respect for OSU and their program more than either USC or OU but based on where the teams are at right now I feel that USC and OU are pound for pound two of three best teams in the country. I feel that right now either of them would defeat OSU, hence my reasoning for putting them in the championship game. Granted loosing to Stanford and Colorado is a major hit to both those teams but OSU also lost to Illinois on their home turf. And no I don't think Illinois is all that even though I was happy for coach Zook. And I think USC will expose that in the Rose Bowl. But again I strongly feel that LSU, USC, and OU are the three best teams in the country right now. OSU does have a valid claim to be there and they have the potential to cause LSU some trouble. An LSU victory is not a given but I do feel going in LSU is the better team.

8. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

That's it? That's all you can come up with?

Look, everybody, you people need to realize that the vast majority of people who have more experience with football than any of us agree that Ohio State is the #1 team in the country.

Look at the AP Poll. Sixty-five sportswriters and broadcasters from across the country. They all get to sit down and decide who they think should be the #1 and #2 teams that will play for the NC. Fifty voters put OSU at #1, eleven voters put LSU at #1. No other team got more than one #1 vote (Georgia, Hawaii, VT, and Okla all got one each). USC got zero #1 votes. The two Louisiana voters both pick #1 OSU vs. #2 LSU. One Oklahoma voter wants #1 LSU vs. #2 Oklahoma, the other wants #1 Ohio State vs. #2 Oklahoma. Let's look at Oklahoma's biggest rival, Texas, one of the two quality opponents that Oklahoma beat this year. Three of the Texas voters wanted #1 Ohio State vs. #2 LSU, while the fourth Texas voter wanted #1 Hawaii vs. #2 Oklahoma. Now lets look at the other "quality" opponent Oklahoma beat this year (twice), Missouri. The Missouri voter wanted to see #1 Ohio State v. #2 Oklahoma. What about Colorado, a Big 12 school who beat Oklahoma this year? The Colorado voter wanted to see #1 Ohio State vs. #2 LSU. What about Nebraska, they have a lot of pride in the Big 12, right? The Nebraska voter wanted #1 Ohio State vs. #2 LSU. I could go on and on, but you can see how it all went down for yourself here.

Look at the Coaches Poll. Sixty Division I-A coaches from across the country, including Les Miles, Jim Tressel, Frank Beamer, Mark Richt, Bobby Bowden, Tommy Bowden, Butch Davis, Rich Rodriguez, Jeff Tedford (California), Greg Schiano (Rutgers), Jim Grobe (Wake Forest), Chris Petersen (Boise State), Bob Stoops (Oklahoma), Mack Brown (Texas), Bill Callahan (Nebraska), Dennis Franchione, (Texas A&M), Dan Hawkins, (Colorado), Mike Leach (Texas Tech), etc. Full list is here.

These sixty coaches all get to sit down and decide who they think should be the #1 and #2 teams that will play for the NC. Fourty-six coaches put OSU at #1, eleven coaches put LSU at #1. No other team got more than two #1 votes (Okla got 2, Hawaii got 1). USC got zero #1 votes.

Look at the Harris Poll. One hundred and fourteen panelists -- comprised of former players, coaches, administrators and current and former members of the media. They all get to sit down and decide who they think should be the #1 and #2 teams that will play for the NC. Ninety-eight voters put OSU at #1, seven voters put LSU at #1, and six voters put Oklahoma at #1. No other team got more than one #1 vote (Georgia, Hawaii, VT got one each). USC got zero #1 votes. Eddie Crowder (All-American at Oklahoma in 50's, head coach and AD at Colorado in 60's and 70's) wanted #1 Oklahoma vs. #2 Ohio State. Steve Owens (the second Oklahoma player to win the Heisman, AD of Oklahoma in the 90's) wanted #1 Ohio State vs. #2 Oklahoma. You can see who voted for who at this PDF file.

Now sure, you could say that Vegas has picked LSU as the favorite over Ohio State. But Vegas is taking more into consideration that just who is the best team in the country with everything else being equal. Ohio State has to come all the way down here deep into SEC territory, to our very own backyard, and play in front of our fans, which are respected as among the most intimidating in the country.

Besides, look at it like this, in the 9 years of the modern BCS system, Vegas has gotten the favorite wrong six out of nine times, including last year when they picked OSU by 7 over Florida, and five years ago when they picked Miami by 13 over Ohio State. But if you look at the BCS rankings, you will see that the #1 ranked team has won 5 times, and the #2 ranked team has won 4 times. The BCS ranking has been doing a better job of picking the favorite than Vegas has.

9. ufgatorz1

Whatever man, you asked, I answered.

1 person likes this.
  10. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I did not see anything wrong with Gatorz post. This thread is about what teams fans believe should be in the NC not where the polls and vegas ranked them.

1 person likes this.