Who should really be in the BCS Title Game

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerJag, Dec 27, 2007.

1. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

2. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

The SEC knew Georgia was the only team from the SEC who could gain an at-large BCS bid by not being in the SEC CG.

$34 million is better than $17 million.

3. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Because SOS isn't the only factor in the formula. OSU's record, coupled with the fact that they were ranked high enough to garner respect...is the reason they're in.

I'm not saying any of the others don't deserve to be in...but there are reasons why they aren't...and I listed them per team. It's not my job to "trumpet" ANY team as our opponent...as an LSU fan, it's my job to "trumpet" LSU.:thumb:

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I always preferred the old BCS version of the SOS, which is:

2/3 of your opponents record + 1/3 opponents' opponent's records

this takes into account, e.g., a 10-2 Central Michigan with a .430 SOS isn't nearly as strong as their 10-2 record would indicate while a 7-5 Kentucky team with a .731 SOS would be treated with nearly the same strength (numbers are just arbitrary to illustrate a point).

5. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

Wasn't the BC loss that dropped them? Win that game and we are looking at either us or OSU.

Run numbers on a 11-1 VT team and see where they end up without the BC loss.

6. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

You just validated why the BCS is merely a beauty contest.

After watching Herbstreit and Holtz spin the title game from the team that is the, "best," team to the, "most deserving," team, I have yet to really hear what validates Ohio State other than opinion. They played against only 2 teams that are currently ranked in the top 25, and went 1-1 against those teams. By that standard nobody knows if they can beat a team ranked any higher than #18, because they lost to Illinois who is currently at #13.

By comparison, LSU played 5 teams that are currently ranked in the top 25 and beat 4 of them, and also beat the current #5 ranked team.

Only a playoff system would solve this and then the Big 10 and PAC 10 would actually have to EARN a shot at the title.

7. Berge

Berge Founding Member

No, you are not allowed to make Kent State look like a decent team by previous players. They went 1-7 in the MAC.

If you want to play that game, then LA Tech almost beat the great Hawaii. Middle Tennessee almost won the Sun Belt. Do you see any of us making them look like a quality opponent? No. Because they are not and we all know it.

8. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

get em Berge, get em !

9. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I like you as a poster...but I'm gonna have to disagree.:thumb:

Kent St.?? Hush yo mouth! Don't even go there, man.

Penn St and Wisconsin, I'll give you as good wins...considering the fashion in which they won.

But the most agregious error you make is when you talk about Illinois being a Rose Bowl team...as if they deserve to be in a BCS Bowl game.:nope: You and I both know that the only reason they're there is because of Rose Bowl tradition. Missouri is far more deserving, as are a few other teams.

One thing we agree on though...the two teams in are the right two.

10. VABuckeye

VABuckeye Founding Member

With all due respect, if VA Tech had beaten BC the first time around I believe LSU would be on the outside looking in as Ohio State and VA Tech prepare for the BCS Championship game. I don't see an 11-2 LSU being ahead of 12-1 VA Tech and 11-1 OSU.

This is IMHO and of course is hypothesis.