Who are the Best potential LSU Assistant coaches?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Perple, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Perple

Perple Founding Member

Depending on the new HC, most are expect an almost complete "House cleaning". Maybe keep 1 assistant? Normally a coach brings along quite a few members of his current staff. But sometimes that's not the case.

Who would be some of your choices as good assistant position coaches at LSU?

Current rankings:

#70 in Total Offense
    #84 In Total Defense
    # 104 in Total Rushing ( Up from #127 due to TDP's great play against UF)
    # 95 in Passing Allowed

None of this is up to LSU caliber. Thus the O firing.

Hopefully the new coaching staff will breathe new life into program & get us back to what we expect to see on Saturdays.

Take for instance the probable new OL coach. Do we try to steal a Josh Henson from A&M or a Greg Studs from tOhio State? Or other OL coach that's putting up dominating Offensive lines.

Would like to get your opinions on building a Top notch staff.

This is where the new Coach will make his bones along with recruiting. Finding either a great proven position coach or pulking a gem from a smaller school.

I know, putting the cart way before the horse, but may be fun.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  2. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Pete Golding DC at A&M and the OC at Kentucky.

3. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

Its hard to know what coaches the new HC would bring in, its all about his philosophy. The better question, would be who on the current staff do you think is retained?

I think the only 2 or 3 coaches at LSU that will be Mickey Joseph, Corey Raymond & possibly Faulk, simply because of their recruiting prowess in the state & their players as individuals seem to be thriving. RB's not as much as DB's & WR's, but after the last 2 games, its obvious our running game struggles early on were not as much on the RB's as some thought.

I would hope that Andre Carter gets an interview too. I think he has the makings of being a good DL coach. Same with Bo Davis on the OL.

Hou-duco likes this.
  4. LSU_4_LIFE

I'd take Elko all day over Golding. Not only because he is having more success at A&M, but also to watch the A&M fans lose their minds. However, if LSU could steal Lanning from Georgia, that would be a homerun too.

Perple likes this.
  5. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

My bad I meant Elko not Golding. Elko has made A&M a contender by turning the defense around. Lanning may be waiting for a HC gig.

LSU_4_LIFE likes this.
  6. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I’m not a fan of Mickey Joseph or Faulk. Their units have underperformed. Maybe they’re worth keeping for recruiting.

I’d think the new guy would seriously consider keeping Raymond and maybe the new OL coach.

Im currently leaning aranda with the OC he has at Baylor, maybe somehow talk Frank Wilson into coming back as highly paid associate HC/recruiting coordinator.

7. LSU_4_LIFE

Absolutely because of recruiting, but its hard for me agree that they've under performed given the turnover at OC. While I haven't been super high on Faulk, he just had a RB break the school record for rushing yards in a game. Joseph has been our WR coach since 2017 and I cant remember a stretch in my life time when LSU had better receivers. Chase, Jefferson, Marshal, Boutte, hell a guy like Jenkins just had a 3 TD game.

TBTrumpet and TCUTiger like this.
  8. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I’ve been pissed at Mickey Joseph since we hired a coach to teach him how to coach. Maybe he learned. I don’t recall our receivers looking great last year or this, particularly relative to their accolades. RBs have been meh since 2019 except for the game against FU. Faulk is a LSU legend but his RBs have been mostly underwhelming.

9. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

TDP broke the record because of a schematic shift, not anything Faulk did or didn't do, which maybe absolves him of at least some of the guilt for their performances prior.

I think the receivers have been ok, though. Either way, I think it's best to clean house and start with a completely clean slate.

10. kluke

kluke Founding Member

We will have new DC and OC with the HC change. But I don't think it's needed to clean out the position coaches if they are doing a good job. I would want to keep Corey Raymond because of the results he provides. He is responsible for recruiting and coaching some of the best players to ever come out of LSU. A coaches worth is a combination of many things but primarily recruiting and coaching. If Mickey Joseph has relationships in Louisiana that give the new guy an advantage when competing with the bama gnome for recruits that has to be taken into consideration.