Who Are Our Gardeners Here?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LSUTiga, Mar 31, 2008.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Don't plant a garden no mo cause we away too much in the summer and can't keep up with the upkeep. For those of you who do plant gardens, some tips for ya tomato fruits:

http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/B1271.htm

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/xdpy/kb/growing-tomatoes.html

2. phlashman

phlashman Founding Member

Couldn't help but notice, the threads been up for a while now Tiga...no response.That should tell ya somethin. I've got a "black" thumb, everything I've tried to grow (legal and a bit less) all died on me.:huh:

1 person likes this.
  3. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

:rofl: PRICELESS!

too sents:

[​IMG]

4. LSUTiga

No worries, thought some of our cajuns would have some gardening tips/pics to share. Like I'd said, I no longer plant a garden cause of time constraints in the summer and super wal mart 4 miles away.

We're redoing out flower beds though, I'm putting in an underground irrigation system and adding organic humus and peat moss cause the guy who initially did them several years back used a lot of sandy clay and they get hard as cement.

5. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

My mom and grandparents grow a ton of stuff. I was bored one day and bought some seeds at the farmers market and came home and sprinkled them along our driveway -- in an area that was sort of growing wild. The package was labeled a mixed spring assortment but within a month I had 100 sunflowers on my driveway. The first time my mom arrived she just shook her head and went inside. :)

I like trying weird things that are out of the norm. I tried to grow cotton and corn last year but struggled. The parts that did grow were impressive.

6. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

my dad has grown a garden all of his life which has made me the official groundskeeper of the garden, you know, weeding, tilling, picking the whole bit. i rode on a david bradly before i rode a bike when he lived in baton rouge, we grew okra, snap beans, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes for me, bell pepper, brussel sprouts, sunflowers, egg plant, cucumber, mellyton (spelling?) and we had a mature fig tree and a japanese plum tree.

i didn't know what the soil conditions were but it worked. when we moved to ohio, we took out the pool and started a garden and believe it or not, we grew okra, snap beans, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes for me, bell pepper, brussel sprouts, sunflowers, egg plant, cucumber, and we even had some volunteer watermelon (the were small, one person could eat one but they were very sweet) and pumpkins very successfully. one year we did have some issues with hornworms on the tomatoes but i handled that alright. we always have problems with rabbits but that helped me hone my pellet gun skills. now, i know my dad fertilized the whole garden while im tilled the soil and waters with miracle grow and we seem to always have a plentiful bounty. in the winters we used it as a compost pile to keep the nutrients in the soil.

FUN FACT: we found that brussel sprouts are extremely hardy. when ever we had a "warm snap" (40's) during the winter, we would be able to pick new sprouts that would come up.

this was probably not helpful at all, but i like to reminisce

1 person likes this.
  7. phlashman

phlashman Founding Member

:grin::grin::grin: Cali , you don't know how many times I've checked on my "garden"...only to hear words uttered from my own mouth, something like...

"Awwww Man"!!!!

Sad really...

8. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

It's not sad. It happens! Sometimes the intent for what can be construed as a great thread/post actually goes straight to hell. I have some priceless turds out there that get flushed immediately. Happens to even the best.

My personal opinion is that growing tomatoes absolutely sucks. You gotta baby them TO DEATH, I mean you can't look at em cross eyed without development of an entirely new bug or some freak mold taking over. BUT the ones in the grocery stores are priceless! No hang ups there.

I just moved and left behind a killer garden, artichokes are bout to come in. So to be fair I will share that I absolutely love gardening. Below is what I have going on my deck and getting started with the rest. So next time Tiga decides to start a thread about spring bulbs or even citrus I might just feel froggy! :shock:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. LSUTiga

Beautiful man, really pretty stuff.

Oh, cept for the cowhead with the texas flag- what's up wit dat? :D

I'll post some of our flower beds later when we finish- I'm about to go out and punch more holes for misters.

1 person likes this.
  10. LSUgirlinTx

LSUgirlinTx Is it game time yet?

After much trial and error- plus expense- I've come to the conclusion that I can only grow a couple of things- iris, begonias, geraniums and some daisy looking plant. I will plant more of these this year and bid good day to the other plant experaments I've had in the past.

I also grew basil last year that turned out very well.

Fixing up the garden is fun for two weekends in late march/ early april (guess what I'll be doing this weekend...) and then it gets too hot and weeds grow in a matter of seconds.

If anyone knows of any low maintenace plants I'd appreciate the heads up. Also, I'd like to plant a couple of trees- magnolia died, lime tree died...any good trees that will make it?

1 person likes this.