While tossing bouquets at Ohio Joe..

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerTap, Sep 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

We had that one year a couple back where we had a very lean DB recruiting class, missed on the Surtain kid and another targeted CB, and then had a top guy from the previous year transfer. That, I believe, is why you're seeing thin depth now. But had a very good DB class brought in last year, and another excellent class this year if the commitments stay. We'll be back.

ThePhenom74, Brian, Fishhead and 2 others like this.
  2. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

Re-read my post. I said it improved yesterday. I was responding to a post listing our overall ranking through 4 games. Yesterday was our 1st game this year with a 100 yard rusher. CEH did less dancing yesterday than he did the 1st 3 weeks. That might be because he actually had holes open up yesterday. The one thing I love about CEH is he always keeps his legs moving.

3. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

4. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

The rushing game is coming around. Honestly while I love this passing game we have, I would like to see a little bit more rushing (can't believe I said that).. I did see some things I liked yesterday though and we are fortunate to have time to polish it up a bit before the gauntlet that is October-November begins. CEH is proving his worth, and I was also impressed with some of the moves I saw from #4, John Emery Jr. Dude's got some skills.

As far as the defense, I've said it before and I will say it again.. When you concentrate on building an explosive offense for your team, it comes at the peril of the defense. Guys don't have time to rest and can't keep up the pace. We end up not having enough fresh legs to keep rotating in the game. When guys get tired, they make mistakes both mental and physical. As a whole, teams with an explosive offense don't usually have much of a defense to balance it, though there are exceptions. But that comes after years of recruiting for it and even then still many teams can't pull it off. There aren't many teams outside of the NFL or Tuscaloosa that are consistently successful with that kind of balance. That's just how I see it anyhow. If LSU can maintain this style of offense for a few years and they recruit properly, they can get there. I don't think we're there this year. We just have the luxury of having a very good QB and receiving corps. When the real SEC play begins, we will quickly find out what they're made of.

LSUTiga and LSU_4_LIFE like this.
  5. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I am stunned by the performance of the defensive unit. There were some plays in the Vandy game were almost comical, if not so embarrassing. I think it will take more than just a leader stepping up, but without so leadership we are going nowhere. “Blocking and tackling” comes to mind.

I always thought, and continue to think the “DBU” moniker is one of the dumbest in football. Especially the vocal competition to claim the title. Dumb.

At best it just shows that regardless of how big, fast or athletic these guys are, they are still essentially children. Young and dumb.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

It's been going on a lot longer than LSU and DBU. In the 70's Penn State was called Linebacker U.

Brian likes this.
  7. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

How pissed it's this dude gonna be if we win it all and don't have a top 30 defense in the process? Got damn what a miserable life. I feel sorry for someone that can't enjoy what we're watching

Bengal B, Brian, BAY0U BENGAL and 3 others like this.
  8. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I mean this dude is literally pissed we have the best offense the SEC has seen in its HISTORY through this point if the season. Holy frick!

9. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

No, you're right to say that. We have to be more balanced. You won't be seeing these types of numbers when we play the FUs and AUs with better defenses. I mentioned this in another thread, but even Miles' offense was usually successful against inferior competition and that's what we've played so far. It was when we played better teams that could match up against us that we struggled when we couldn't pass. Same will be true when our passing game struggles. We'll need to run the ball to keep the D honest.

I hear you, but what I don't understand is, when the offense was getting conditioned to run the uptempo offense, why didn't the defense do the same? For no other reason then when teams do it to us? (And shouldn't athletes at an elite D1/FBS school already been in this kind of shape? I think the biggest problem on D is the the lack of a pass rush and missed tackles.

HalloweenRun likes this.
  10. CaryLab

CaryLab Founding Member

He’s an idiot...has always been an idiot and will continue to be an idiot! Claims to be an LSU fan but would like nothing more than to see this team fail so he could say I told you so. His hatred of O is so great that he roots against the team...pathetic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.