where new orleans chefs like to eat in the big easy.

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by snorton938, Apr 28, 2004.

1. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

this is part of an article written by elaine sosa:

Alas, the best of the best. Food in New Orleans is a way of life and a big part of the city's inimitable charm. I could go on for hours (and pages) about my favorite restaurants, but I've decided to take a different tack. On a recent visit, I asked some of the city's best chefs where they would go for a progressive dinner (excluding their own fine table). Their answers are both interesting and illuminating, and if you're smart, you'll follow their footsteps on your next visit.

Michael Uddo, G&E Courtyard Grill:

Pre-dinner drinks at the Napoleon House; appetizers at the Pelican Club; entrees at the Rib Room in the Omni Royal Orleans Hotel ("they have a great rotisserie"); desserts at Gabrielle; after-dinner drinks at the Chart House ("on the balcony only, overlooking Jackson Square").

Mike Fennelly, Mike's on the Avenue:

Pre-dinner drinks at the Polo Lounge in the Windsor Court Hotel; appetizers at Gautreau's; entrees at Bayona; desserts at Gabrielle ("the Peppermint Patti"); after-dinner drinks at the Napoleon House.

Jeff Tunks, The Grill Room:

Pre-dinner drinks at Bella Luna ("for the view"); appetizers at Emeril's ("and a second appetizer at Bayona"); entrees at Peristyle; desserts at Brigtsen's; after-dinner drinks at the Polo Lounge ("it's cigar-friendly").

Kevin Graham, Graham's and Sapphire:

Pre-dinner drinks at the Napoleon House; appetizers at Hana ("for sushi"); entrees at Taj Mahal in Old Metairie ("great Indian food"); desserts at Sapphire (Chef Graham didn't follow the ground rules here); after-dinner drinks in the revolving bar at the Monteleone Hotel.

Rob Mitchell, Gautreau's:

Pre-dinner drinks at Vizard's; appetizers at NOLA; entrees at Peristyle; desserts at the Windsor Court Hotel; after-dinner drinks at The Columns.

Anne Kearney, Peristyle:

Pre-dinner drinks at Vino, Vino; appetizers at Bayona; entrees at Brigtsen's or Gabrielle; desserts at NOLA; after-dinner drinks at the Napoleon House.

Greg Sonnier, Gabrielle:

Pre-dinner drinks at the Polo Lounge or the Napoleon House; appetizers at Emeril's; entrees at Galatoire's; desserts at the Pelican Club; after-dinner drinks at the Old Absinthe House.

Susan Spicer, Bayona:

Pre-dinner drinks on the rooftop of the Omni Royal Orleans Hotel; appetizers at Mike's on the Avenue; entrees at Brigtsen's; desserts at Peristyle; after-dinner drinks at the Napoleon House.

2. Uncle Gus

Uncle Gus Founding Member

Snort how old is this? G&E is closed and Mike's on the Avenue is gone too.....

3. snorton938

welllll....the copyright on the bottom said 2004; however, it must obviously be older than that.....here is the hyperlink to the specific article....

http://www.sallys-place.com/travel/n_america/eus_new_orleans.htm

4. snorton938

you know....maybe that's why michael uddo and mike fennelly liked to dine out........ :D

5. Uncle Gus

Uncle Gus Founding Member

don't get me wrong both those places were great, and it's a shame they closed.

Mike's on the Avenue became DITKA'S and has since closed.

G&E was awesome, but it had lots of competition in the area, and eventually closed

6. snorton938

it's spelled....e...c...o...n...o...m...y.

my buddy hilda from houma got here to orlando for that very reason and is doing well working at jockamo's (it's like louisiana fast food). when it gets tough...it gets tough.