Where are they now??? former LSU basketball players - 2007 thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsubasketball, Nov 12, 2004.

1. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

Re: Where are they now??? former LSU basketball players

CJ is like 38 years old now and from that euroleague link, he's still lighting it up over there. They still show the LSU - Loyola Marymount game on ESPN classics. We had CJ, Shaq, et al and they had Hank Gathers a few months before he died. Final score was way up in the mid hundreds like 151-144 or something like that. I had season basketball tickets that year and for the next 3 years. Got to bring my son to watch Shaq play. I met him once. Shook his hand. Looked him eye to eye. Of course, he was sitting down and I was standing. :shock:

2. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

I saw your post after I posted mine. I thought it was at Georgia but I'm sure you're right. Was that 86....the Final Four year or 87?

That cross-over was something else.......there's so many moments with CJ. Like I said, I'm 36 and still talk about and remember those games as if it were yesterday. And honestly.....since those days I have never seen a better shooter in college. He was just the wrong size and skills for the NBA......he wasn't a point guard and he was too short to play the 2. But dude, as far as a pure shooter.....nobody better.

I want that Ole Miss-Gerald Glass shootout on DVD to show my kids one day. Both were just on fire. Everybody always talks about the UNLV game and Loyola game (and those were great).....but give me that Ole Miss and Florida game and I'd be set.

3. TexTiger

TexTiger Founding Member

He's hangin drywall up at the new McDonald's in Las Colinas

4. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

Chris Jackson/Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf

A mosque? Ugh...

5. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Yep, No doubt about it!
    Its funny you should be mentioning that, I watched the highlights from that game the other day.
    I saw the highlights from these games but I don't think I saw those two games.
    I had my very first apartment back then.
    I also own and have read Dale Brown's book at that time.
    I don't know how my dad did it but he gave me an autographed team picture and Dale's book was also autographed for me.
    That is the team with CJ, Shaq, Stanley, etc.:grin:

On a different note I was disapointed to find out CJ was now in the Gulfport area when I spent about 3 months working in that area after Katrina.
    I don't agree with his religion and all that went down in later years but I still would have liked to introduce myself and shake his hand as an LSU fan.
    I don't guess his number was ever retired, I honestly think it should be.
    Only Pete Maravich accomplished more at the college level than CJ, I think?

6. WestCoastTiger

WestCoastTiger Founding Member

This is a great thread. I have fond memories of Tiger basketball going back to when the Pistol played for the Tigers. I really started following LSU basketball when they beat UK for the first time in like 30 years back in the early-mid 70's.

Some of my favorite Tigers were Derrick "Pacman" Taylor, Don Redden, Ethan Martin, Howard "Hi-C" Carter, Dwayne "The Astronaut" Scales, etc. This list could go on and on.

The glory days of LSU basketball. We had a respected coach in Dale Brown. He was a little strange but you knew he cared about the players and LSU. I cannot say the same for Brady. I really think he is the reason so many players leave or don't come to LSU at all.

7. DwayneBowned

DwayneBowned Founding Member

Ugh? He converted a crack house into a place of worship. Would you have a problem with it if he had converted it into a church instead of a mosque?

8. DJM136

DJM136 fubar 24/7

Ethan Martin was one of my favorites. Not heralded out of McKinley high school, he could shoot, penetrate and dish, and he could guard anyone one on one full court, many times stealing the ball from them. He also had one of my favorite quotes. On Inside LSU Basketball, Dale Brown was interviewing Ethan and kind of caught him off guard with "Ethan, how do you have such success driving the lane and scoring with all those big guys trying to stop you?"

Ethan: "well coach, I've always been small for my size."

9. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

You can't say the same for any football coaches we have had in recent years lately!:dis:
    Saban and his staff, Pelini and maybe Miles?:dis:
    Yes, I know they aren't from here and I expect this kind of stuff but this season sure blew up in our face.
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to change the subject here but I am so disappionted in the way the season has turned out lately.:dis: :cry:

10. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

I'm not sure how much respect Dale actually had in coaching circles, he wasn't known as a great Xs and Os coach. And as you mentioned, he was indeed strange. But man, he brought in some great talent over the years and it was never a dull moment watching him coach. I'll never forget those tv cameras in the huddle during timeouts when he had no clue how many TOs we had left, who had the ball, what to do, etc. But damn, he could pump you up and motivate you like nobody's business.

I played HS ball with Taylor, Carter and Coach Huck. Got to hang around the basketball team a little bit during those days of the early to mid 80s. Those were some great times in the PMAC.