When did AU become LSU's biggest Rival?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by AUMorgan21, Oct 24, 2002.

1. Tiger Sam

Tiger Sam Freshman

and a good excuse for a road trip!!!

2. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

No, no, no, no, no, no. Did I say no?

First, this would not be a money-making move for LSU. Tiger Stadium holds approximately 40,000 more people than Indy Stadium. Assuming that LSU and Arkansas would split the ticket revenue each year, that means LSU would make the equivalent of 50,000 seats (approximate size of Indy Stadium) every two years, whereas we now make all of 91,600. For that fact alone this will never happen.

Second, you cannot duplicate the atmosphere of the LSU campus, especially not in Shreveport around Independence Stadium. Other schools that have neutral site games (Texas-OU, UGA-Florida) have done so for a long time and have sites that can accommodate such an event. Independence Stadium is not such a site.

Third, I would argue that such a game would help Arkansas in recruiting more than it would LSU. Arkansas already goes after many players in north Louisiana, but Fayetteville is a pretty far drive from north La. This game would be a showcase for Arkansas to recruit north Louisiana players even more heavily than they do now. If recruiting is the reason to play a neutral site game, then a game in Houston every year with Texas A&M is a better solution. Houston is a hotbed of talent, and like the Arkansas game in Shreveport, it would give us a showcase for the Houston recruiting talent. (Although I don't like this idea, either, for many of these same reasons.)

Finally, there is just nothing like a game in Tiger Stadium. Now, I realize that the Arkansas game is always on the Friday afternoon after Thanksgiving and that many people are hunting that weekend (that has always bugged me, but that's an argument for another thread), but Tiger Stadium is still electric on a Friday afternoon in November. We have seven home games each year now; why would we want to lose one of those games simply to play at Independence Stadium.

The idea for this game in the abstract sounds nice, but when you break it down, it is a terrible idea, and (I hope) it will never happen.

3. Tiger Sam

Tiger Sam Freshman

Funny, I thought football was a game....

4. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

JET STORM

Shreveport has been tring to put that game together for years. Independents Stadium is now 50 something thousand and Miami is playing La Tech there in 2004. I think LSU has played somebody there before way back when but I do not know who it was( in regular season ). I think one reason LSU never plays in Shreveport is because they do not want to lose the gate. If LSU could still have 7 home games and play the 8th in Shreveport that would be awesome but, if you look at LSU vs Ark now nobody comes anyway because of the Fri after Thanksgiving so I think they should play the Fri or Sat after Thanksgiving in Shreveport they would sell it out and the recruiting would benefit LSU because we win all the time anyway.

DD FOR HEISMAN

5. RockyMtTiger

RockyMtTiger Founding Member

^^LSU played Rice in Shreveport back in the '70s, and as I recall it wasn't a particularly popular idea. Most fans want all LSU home games to be in Tiger Stadium, so there isn't much of an incentive to have a game in Shreveport on a regular basis.

6. Tiger Sam

Tiger Sam Freshman

No, not new. Tiger fan for last 25 years. Just thought it was more about the thrill of the game and the fans getting to experience it than how much money we can make off it!

7. burlesontiger

burlesontiger Founding Member

Maybe I'm being selfish, but I'd LOVE to see them play in Shreveport. I'd definitely make the roadie!

8. Tiger Sam

Tiger Sam Freshman

Re: TigerSaint's reply

Sorry, that last post was in response to TigerSaint's comment that I must be a new fan.

9. JTV

JTV Founding Member

rivalry

I think it's because the games have been so physical and dramatic the last 15yrs...The earthquake game, the interception game, the fire game, the one great preformance by Cecil Collins prior to his first court-date, which in my opinion WAS the greatest, and most heartbraking, game in recent memory. I'll never forget Mark Roman dropping an interception that hit him between the numbers, and then Craig leading Auburn 80 yards in the final 2 minutes to drive a stake through my heart!