Whats your favorite Gumbo?

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by LSUMASTERMIND, Mar 7, 2008.

1. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

Thanks Red, bad enough I order from these people boudin but when I saw the link, I thought wellll you know I could use some more boudin, so I might as well....

$50 down! But will be eating good for awhile now!

2. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I eat gumbo with french bread, but I also prefer it with a good potato salad. To each, their own. :thumb:

3. khounba

khounba Founding Member

Same here, although we call it rice dressing.

Has anyone else ever had Gumbo with egg in it? When I was younger my grandma used to crack whole eggs in the boiling gumbo and it would basically cook them like a hard boiled egg. I don't do it in gumbo anymore, but I do drop an egg in my ramen noodles.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

He threw his cow over the fence some hay.

5. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

What I get for rushing! Hate having to worry about getting caught at work!

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Talkin' like a Coonass Yoda y'all are.

7. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Don't laugh at me, but I have been using Nutria in place of chicken in my gumbo. Nutria is a cleaner and whiter meat than chicken, and it is tasty to boot. I keep it very simple. Sometimes I will add sausage and andouille, but usually I only put in chicken.

I have been making the traditional cajun gumbo with a dark roux and no okra lately. I season with salt, cayenne, and bay leaves. I also make file available for my guests. In my family we always dished the file in at the table and mixed it in our bowls.

I also make a mean herb gumbo in the strict creole sense. I will likely make this for Good Friday.

edit.... I almost always make my seafood gumbos a gumbo ya ya by cracking a few eggs into the stock as it comes to a boil. I don't do this on the rare occasion that I use okra in a seafood gumbo, and never do this in a flesh meat gumbo.