what's your favorite chinese take-out?

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by snorton938, Apr 16, 2004.

1. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

tonite i got some chinese take-out (actually delivery) from the sunflower restaurant here in orlando. for our order we got:

1 order lemon chicken

1 order hawaii-five-o: beef filet chunks w/chicken chunks and pork chunks plus shrimp and lobster in a brown gravy w/vegetables

1 order steamed dumplings with plum sauce

1 order crab rangoons

1 order mushroom egg-foo-young

1 large order house fried rice w/ shrimp, pork and chicken

1 large order bar-b-que ribs (chinese style w/that sweet sauce; bone-in)

what are your favorite chinese take-out (or delivery) foods? you know, i was thinking about posting some chinese recipes, but heck, this stuff is so cheap why make it when you can order it cooked good.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I love Chinese food but I never know what to order. When I eat Chinese I alway go to the buffet and fill my plate with what looks good.

3. shaqazoolu

shaqazoolu Concentrated Awesome

When I first came to BR/LSU I always went to the Great Wall for my chinese food....just order a buffet to go and load up on everything. Since then, I have discovered a cheaper version of the Great Wall called China City....and it's not far. It is on Bennington across from the post office. I have been goin there ever since and the food tastes as good as the great wall and it is much cheaper there.

I am pretty particular about egg rolls in general. I used to be big on the shrimp toast, but I got a whole lot one time and I think the immense amount of grease that came from that meal has ruined shrimp toast for me forever. I still eat it every once in a while but not nearly as much as I used to. I like the sesame chicken as well. There is also some kind of angel hair type lo mein there that is very tasty that I havent found anywhere else. They also has some butter shrimp that is also very good. Those things are my favorites anyway. I like Chinese food a lot in general......

I like food a lot in general......

4. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

Five Happiness no doubt

5. iluvdatiger

iluvdatiger Founding Member

Pork lo mein, sesame chicken, combination fried rice

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Kung Pao Chicken is my favorite takeout.

And Chefs Special Fried Rice with shrimp, pork, and chicken--its like a chinese jambalaya.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I get something called double cooked pork that has a bunch of veggies in it and some fried rice and an eggroll.

8. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

In Lexington, KY, there is a small chain of Chinese take-out restaurants called "Wok 'n Go," and their slogan is " I know it's only Wok 'n Go, but I like it!" That is sheer marketing genius.

And who can forget the ones in New Orleans called "Takee Outee?" (are they still around?).

I've been going for about 5 years to this takeout place here in Virginia called Hong Kong. Invariably I get the Sesame Chicken combo (with fried rice and an egg roll). I'll call it in and as soon as I walk in, they know I'm the Sesame Chicken Man. The girl sees me walk in and she picks up the bag and says "Sesee Chickee?" If I achieve nothing else in life, at least I have this...

9. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

Actually, I have my own wok, and when I get the Sesame Chicken combo I'll also stir fry a bunch of vegetables in the wok, throw in some oyster sauce and then mix it in with the sesame chicken and make two and sometimes three meals out of it. Hey, when you are an impoverished divorcee, you gotta do things like this. Know what I mean, Vern?

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I went to a lesbian Chinese restaurant in north California once. No chinese people at all. Just lesbians, . . . really obvious lesbians. It was called "A Wok on the Wild Side".

The food was average, but it was an interesting experience.