What's the situation with signing day on Wednesday?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CagedTiger, Dec 17, 2022.

1. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

The problem is how to stop it or at least bring some kind of common sense to this situation. I don't think you can because it's so far out of control, trying to harness it in any way is going to be futile. This very well could just be the beginning of a situation that's going to get much, much worse down the road. Whether we like it or not, this could be the doom of college football because only a select, small group of wealthy programs can survive long term on its current path.

2. tigerpub

tigerpub Founding Member

I’m in complete agreement that we might be seeing the beginning of the end. I am completely sympathetic rwith the players that are bringing in shit tons of money to the programs. I get making sure that they are compensated. But, the unfortunate reality?… It’s going to be the ruin of the college game as we know it. eventually, college football (among other sports) is really just going to be one big giant AAU league.The rich get richer. Money, size, notoriety of university is just going to rule.

HalloweenRun likes this.
  3. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

It's funny to think back to just a few years ago a coach couldn't even buy a recruit a coke, but now they're buying them houses, cars and paying them six figures just to get them to sign.

Perple and mctiger like this.
  4. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Coaches arent doing that, still illegal in the context of NCAA rules.

5. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

Coaches can leave anytime they want, so can players. Seems fair IMO, this is why there is a heavy focus on Louisiana guys I think.

Herb likes this.
  6. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

Why am I not surprised one bit! I'm seriously starting to question, why does the NCAA even exist anymore? Something tells me that they are getting paid very well for doing very little, which I guess is a great gig if you can get one!

7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I was in Ohio recently and they (Ohio St fans) were talking about a kid being recruited by them and UGA. Apparently the kid told osu they had to match the 1.6 mil he was getting from UGA to get his services. That to me is nuts! The amount and the fact that it is just an out in the open bidding war. I absolutely hate this for cfb!

StaceyO likes this.
  8. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

It's probably the same kid I read about a couple of weeks ago. Apparently, according to the article, he went to Georgia for 1.8 million and $800,000 per season and Ohio State couldn't even come close to that offer. INSANE!

Here's the article!

https://www.si.com/fannation/colleg...football-nil-ohio-state-5-star-recruit-report

shane0911 likes this.
  9. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

Actually they can lose it:

"Once a player enters the transfer portal, the program the athlete currently attends is no longer required to honor the player’s scholarship. Even if a player enters the transfer portal and later withdraws their name, their current program is no longer obligated to honor their scholarship."

https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/news/ncaa-transfer-portal-everything-you-need-to-know/

Herb and LSUTiga like this.
  10. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

Wow, that's very interesting. I thought they had to honor the scholarship until a final decision was made by the player, but this changes everything. I think it's only right to allow a school to pull his/her scholarship if a player makes his/her intentions known to school officials that they're moving on.