What's the situation with signing day on Wednesday?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CagedTiger, Dec 17, 2022.

1. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

It's clear the early signing day is really the only signing day that counts for the most part. How are we looking in terms of big-time players signing and how many can we sign? With players jumping into the portal or declaring for the NFL, it's hard to figure how many we can fill. If a player jumps into the portal or declares for the NFL is his scholarship immediately open? How sure are we that Harris is going to sign with us?

LSUTiga likes this.
  2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Great question about the scholarship. Anxious to hear answer.

3. BornOnTheBayou

BornOnTheBayou 2022 Masters Pick 'Em Champion

I would think so, particularly those who enter the portal.

4. kcal

kcal Founding Member

from shea dixon:

upload_2022-12-17_18-47-18.png

shane0911 likes this.
  5. Herb

Herb Founding Member

No.
    The scholarship only opens up when they officially transfer to another school.
    Players entering the transfer portal do not necessarily leave. They are only looking to see what other schools might be interested in them. Sometimes, they withdraw from the portal and stay with their original school.

LSUTiga and BornOnTheBayou like this.
  6. kcal

kcal Founding Member

from Leah vann at the advocate:

In May, the NCAA DI Council issued a two-year blanket waiver that allows FBS schools to sign more than 25 players to scholarships in a signing period.

While schools still have to stay within the overall scholarship limit of 85, this provides flexibility going into the early signing period Dec. 21 through Dec. 23. That includes both freshmen and transfer portal scholarship signees.

“It’s (this class) going to be mid-to-high 30s,” LSU coach Brian Kelly said. “I think within a calendar year, we could be close to turning over 70 scholarships.”

Last year, LSU signed 15 freshmen and 16 transfers on scholarship. This year, the Tigers enter the early signing period with 25 hard commits in the freshman class, according to 247Sports, and still awaits answers from a few other national names, like five star cornerback Desmond Ricks and four-star defensive lineman Jordan Hall.

“When they changed the number from 25, there was certainly a need to go above that 25 because of people moving in and out of your program,” Kelly said. "I remember the years where I was signing 18, I think those days are over.”

That, coupled with LSU’s 13 players who have entered the transfer portal since a 45-day window opened Dec. 5, will dictate how many total players Kelly signs in the 2023 class. While this year's may be in the mid-to-high 30s, Kelly doesn't expect to sign as many players in the coming years.

“I certainly don't think it's going to be in the mid-to-high 30s," Kelly said. "I think that that's outside the lines, but I do believe that the high 20s is going to be the norm."

7. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

LSU signing close to almost 40 players is mind-boggling! That's like flipping half your roster, which I guess is good for CBK because it allows him to bring in his type of players, but for a coach that's been there a while, that is going to be a nightmare. With NIL and the transfer portal, that has to be a complete cluster for recruiting because you don't know who's going pro, who's staying or what NIL deal that player is getting offered by other schools. College football has always been a dirty business, but all this new stuff takes it to a new level!

HalloweenRun likes this.
  8. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

And to think that the coaches will have to deal with a 2nd shorter portal window after spring practice. The 2nd window will be 15 days (May1-15).

9. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

I'm sure that will be crazy also because I'm sure some of the top players are going to put off their decision until then to drive up the price. I knew paying players would take some time to get used to, but this situation has absolutely gone off the rails!

HalloweenRun likes this.
  10. 65Grad

65Grad Maturity is Overrated

This sh*t is really getting out of hand!:(

HalloweenRun likes this.