What Reel Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by TigerBait3, Aug 27, 2009.

1. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Obviously most mix a few up, but I just throw a few Shimanos that I have received/purchased over the years. Ill use my Penn spinning reel every now and then. I even have a few Zebcos that the little cousins use. The Goofy Special of course.

I like the 250.

[​IMG]

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I have a dozen or so Abu Garcia Ambassadeur bait casting reels on different rods. They are reliable and last forever if you clean and oil them after use and they are great for catching specks, reds and red and the are good for bass too. For the bull reds I use a Penn Senator

3. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

I have two of them and love them. Ive had to retrieve one of them from the bottom of the bay a few times due to drunken friends and they still work. First bait caster I ever owned. Great reels.

4. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

I have five, I've always used them and find them to be very reliable.

5. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Shimanos....period. I have 4 Symetre spinning reels(2 2500s and 2 4000s), 2 Calcuttas (a 200 that is about 9 years old and still perfect, and a 400 that is about 4 years old and still perfect)
    -
    I have 3 or 4 Sedonas that I let people use while fishing with me. I picked up 2 of them at Academy last year for $40/ea. I also got two of the Symetres that same day for $60. They were '07 models, and they changed the style...so they had them on clearance.
    -
    I use the Calcutta 400 very rarely for bull reds or sharks in the surf. Otherwise, I personally fish the Symetre 2500 more than any other. It's matched with a great little 6' Falcon rod, and even though it's a little outmanned fishing reds, it makes it so much more fun fighting them. It's a really smooth little combo.
    -
    For tournaments, I use the Symetre 4000s matched with 7'3" Falcon rods. I carry the Calcutta 200 along on tourney days as well...but usually don't throw it. I like the longer rod for casting distance...and the ability to keep the fishes heads above the water so they don't break me off on an oyster shell...and it makes it easier to get them to the net. Usually a tournament fish spends about 10-15 seconds from hookup to net...I am usually standing on a casting or poling platform, and the elevation also helps keep the fish on top during the fight. These rods are too long to fish with from the kayak/canoe though.
    -
    Agree that the Ambassedeurs are reliable...but the drags are as smooth as a dumptruck. Still, for the price, they're a good deal. A lot of old people like those.:hihi:

6. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

I use cheap sh!t that I buy at walmart.
    Last just as long and work just as good as those expensive reels all my buddies own.

7. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Shimano is about as good as it comes for any of their products. If anything geaux's wrong with their stuff regardless, you can throw it in a box and they will fix it no questions or send you a new one. If they discover anything else that is wrong, they will fix that to and tell you they did. I loves them little people. :thumb:

8. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

Zebco. :eek:

What? :grin:

I've got several of those as well. Reliable and easy to use, for bass or reds.
    [​IMG]

Got some low profilers for bass as well.
    [​IMG]

When I'm just throwing it out there for specks, I've got several Shimano, et al, spinning reels. I'll usually hook up a spinner on a stiff rod when plastic worm fishing or jigging.

And yes, I'll use some Zebco's with my kids for brim. :grin:

9. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

They are not for...me. ;)

Though, you aint a real man til youve fought a bull shark on a zebco. Scared the kids ****less. :shock:

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Years ago before I learned how to properly use a baitcasting reel I used Zebco 808s They were ok for a couple of trips if the fish weren't biting but one good trip would turn them into toast. Its not a hell of a lot of fun when the specks or reds are in a feeding frenzy and your reel fries out.