What is Targeting?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by locoguano, Oct 25, 2018.

1. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

2018 NCAA Rules and Interpretations
    Targeting and Making Forcible Contact With the Crown of the Helmet
    ARTICLE 3. No player shall target and make forcible contact against an opponent with the crown of his helmet. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul. (Rule 9-6) (A.R. 9-1-3-I)

Targeting and Making Forcible Contact to Head or Neck Area of a Defenseless Player
    ARTICLE 4. No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent (See Note 2 below) with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul (Rules 2-27-14 and 9-6). (A.R. 9-1-4-I-VI)

Note 1: “Targeting” means that a player takes aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with forcible contact that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball.
    Some indicators of targeting include but are not limited to:
    • Launch—a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area
    • A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground
    • Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area
    • Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet

As I view White's hit on Fitzgerald, I can see none of the sample indicators. The real issue here is that the rule, as written, can be interpreted and twisted to apply to nearly any hit. "Some indicators of targeting include but are not limited to" leaves far too much room for abuse. The rule also does not define "forcible contact" or differentiate it from incidental contact (which is what White's facemask to facemask bump was).

ROY_LA_CA, tirk and Rolan like this.
  2. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

just saw the play for the first time,.. the QB's head was turned by the helmet/helmet contact. Nothing malicious though,.. penalty? yeah, I suppose. Ejection didn't seem warranted to me, not at all,.. willful intent vs accidental contact should be factored into the decision, but I don't think it is. Targeting rules still need adjustment.

Should there be a way to appeal the decision? Hell no,.. with Alabama's influence, they really would have an advantage.

el005639, ROY_LA_CA and furduknfish like this.
  3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

This was covered multiple times. Even gumps and ex refs have conceded the fact it was a terrible call. Herbie said it was one of the worst calls ever. Ive always loved Herbie btw bc I've found him least biased as humanly possible.

They'll simply have to rewrite the rule and whichever talking head said it's gonna have be a flagrant 1 or 2 is probably correct.

Gotta get all the Bama grads and influential dickriders out the booth however.

**I'm assuming the booth is full of Bama sycophants. 1 is too many.

4. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

@locoguano Bringing facts,

The hit by white should be a penalty for player saftey, but in no way should be an ejection and suspension.

I'd be ok with giving players a warning then an ejection on the second penalty if it happens. And an independent review during the week can determine if a suspension is given.

I also think an ejection should only happen if the hit is in the obvious he was trying to kill some category. I have liked the flagrant 1 and 2 idea thrown around by some.

5. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

The hit should not be a penalty until they flag offensive players for lowering their head.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  6. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

"No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, hands, fist, elbow or shoulder. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting. When in question, it is a foul."

I agree some of the offensive players should be called for this too, but this whole arms to the head and neck is really only called when sacking the QB, lets be honest.

7. tigerpub

tigerpub Founding Member

Alabama never gets called. Simple as that.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I don’t even think it was a late hit. Ball came out milliseconds before White shoved him. There was no forcible contact to the head or neck, only incidental and that isn’t targeting. Bad call, shitty review, not saying there is cheating in Birmingham but dammit if they do their best to make it look that way.

9. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

Explains the whole scenario perfectly.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  10. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Right. 'Forcible' being the key word. It was incidental, not forcible.

Bengal B likes this.