What is going on at the Santa Anita racetrack?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by fanatic, Jun 10, 2019.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Podcast brother

2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

3. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Another horse dies at Santa Anita. Or to be accurate, it injured its leg and was euthanized. That's number 30. So, why do all these horses get put down after injuries?Obviously, they can't race anymore, but can't they stud (or the female equivalent)? And even if they can't do that, are they able to live some sort of pain free life as a pet, even if they can't breed or be ridden? Horses are so majestic. I hate that they have to be killed because of an injury.

https://www.espn.com/horse-racing/story/_/id/27032501/30th-horse-dies-santa-anita-trainer-banned

GiantDuckFan and Bengal B like this.
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I always wondered why they did that. What if they put down injured players in human sports? Kevin Durant tore his Achilles. Shoot him. Alex Smith had a horrible broken leg. If he can't play football any more what good is he?

GiantDuckFan and fanatic like this.
  5. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

It's pretty difficult to put a horse in a cast and tell him to stay off of his leg.

shane0911 and LSUTiga like this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Some method of rehabilitation could be developed if some smart veterinarian or scientist put his mind to it. I agree with @fanatic. It's cruel and inhumane to execute these poor beasts when the injuries they incurred happened while they were being put to use for human entertainment. I've seen large dogs with casts on their broken legs.

fanatic likes this.
  7. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

It’s very rare that a horse especially thoroughbred can survive a broken leg. If you remember a couple of years ago one of the horses that was in the triple crown chase broke down in a race. They tried to save it but even after the best treatment failed.
    You might reconsider your position. Isn’t it cruelty to prolong suffering of an animal to make people feel better?

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I get it that a horse spent almost all of its time standing while dogs and cats spend a lot of time lying down but couldn't some kind of device be invented that would take the pressure off the broken leg while it heals? There was a filly named Ruffian who won the Kentucky Derby and tben broke her leg in the Preakness. A 3 year old horse has maybe another 20 to 25 more years to live.

Thoroughbred owners are all rich. Maybe they could spend a few bucks to sponsor research into this area.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  9. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

37th horse dies today at the track of death.

10. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

I heard that this year is an improvement from years past. Media coverage got a late start on this. They implemented a plan for improvement and deaths are down, which is crazy.