What is everyone reading

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LSUsupaFan, Sep 25, 2004.

1. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

"With the Old Breed" by E. B. Sledge. His telling of his actual combat experience in the Marines, at Pelilu and Okinawa, in WW II. The old breed were guys who served in WWI and stayed with the company and they trained the newbies. It was described to me as the most unvarnished and accurate account of what an infantry soldier went through on the front lines in the Pacific in WWII. Accurate description.

2. hebertjp

hebertjp Founding Member

'When in Rome: A Journal of Life in Vatican City' This book was given to me a long time ago as a gift. It is a light read about a journalist's attempt to casually 'penetrate the bureaucracy' at the Vatican and ask a few simple questions while exploring Vatican City and Rome. Apparently the Vatican is notoriously tight lipped about even the most benign questions, like 'does the pope use a computer or typewriter to write his encyclicals or does he use pen and paper'.

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

"To Save America"

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I just finshed the 4th book of a 4 book series entitled "Emperor", about the life of Julius Ceaser. It's historical fiction but fascinating stuff. The author is Conn Iggulden who also wrote a 3 book series on the life of Ghengis Khan, which was a very good read.

I just started Leo Honeycutt's biography of Edwin Edwards.

On the throne I'm reading Laura Ingraham's "The Obama Diaries". Hilarious.

5. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

Emperor sounds fascinating. I always enjoy historical fiction based on true figures, provided the facts aren't totally thrown out the window. On that note The Family by Mario Puzo is a good one.

I haven't read the Obama Diaries but The Case Against Barack Obama was particularly good.

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

you may need to reread it. Julius Caesar.

Also what is historical fiction? the base is true but the story is stretched?

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I read it. I didn't write it.

Some events or time lines are altered. Some characters are composite. Most is based on fact. At the end of each book he goes into detail about what was fact and what was fiction.

8. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

I finished Lasher and started on her other lesser known book, The Mummy. Does anyone else appreciate some authors' lesser known books better than their bread and butter, or am I the only one?

9. shaqazoolu

shaqazoolu Concentrated Awesome

I read all of Dan Brown's books after The Da Vinci Code and I enjoyed them just as much. I really liked Digital Fortress, but I'm a computer guy so I may have been a little biased.

10. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

The Age of Napoleon Probably won't finish it.