What is everyone reading

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LSUsupaFan, Sep 25, 2004.

1. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I suddenly feel compelled to pick of The Witching Hour again. I have all of the Anne Rice witch books, but haven't read them in quite some time.

The first time I read The Witching Hour, I admit I raced through a lot of the history. I didn't do that the second time I read it.

The age you are when you read a book makes a big difference, too. I bought a copy of Helter Skelter about the Manson murders when I was in high school, but was only interested in the parts of the book that detailed the crimes. I read it again in the summer of '01 (for some reason while I was very pregnant with my first child--reading about Sharon Tate's fate was unnerving), but I was really interested in the legal aspects of the case as a 30-year-old. I'd just flown through that previously.

2. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

This will probably get me run out of town on a rail, but I am now reading Howard Zinn's, A People's History Of The United States.

I think Mr Zinn is out to make me ashamed of being a white man, but it is very interesting reading. Not what you learned in school, but that is what makes it rather compelling.

Prior to that I have been reading LOTS of books on the Eastern Front in WWII, from both the German and the Russian perspectives. Again, not what you learned in school about WWII.

Finally, I am reading a professional book, Scheduling in the Middle School. Now that one sucks.

hwr

3. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

the family history is what i focused on. i guess cause i used to do a lot of geneology. it was pretty easy that way to figure out what the 13 witches was referring to long before told.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Reading the other sides version of any historical event is often an enlightening experience. The American and Mexican versions of the "Manifest Destiny" experience is certainly a study in contrasts.

5. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

just started palace walk by mahfouz. he won a nobel so it must be good, right? (a little worried about translation, but i enjoy camus and dostoyevsky)

6. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

After watching the game, and numerous fan's negative responses to our win, I thought I'd revive this thread for something else to think about.

I'm on Lasher of the Mayfair Witches Saga. I had put it down awhile back because I went on a hard boiled kick for awhile with Raymond Chandler and James M Cain. Anybody else reading anything besides how we will finish the season 1-11?

7. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

I don't read books for pleasure, but I have to read them for school.

I just started Deepak Chopra's "Buddha" . Most of you could probably read it in one sitting. It will take me a week.

That is all.

8. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

I doubt it. If I pick something up and read it on my own, I go through it quicker and understand it better than being forced to read it. I read the Odyssey in its entirety for fun in high school , and it took me less time to do that than the month we were forced to read a mere four chapters of it.

9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Angels and Demons, Dan Brown. Its a re-read.

10. shaqazoolu

shaqazoolu Concentrated Awesome

Good book. Have you read his new one?

I'm reading The Official Guide to the SSCP CBK because I have to take the stupid test in 2 weeks. When this one is done, I have about 6 books that I plan on reading for fun before I have to start studying again.