What is everyone reading

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LSUsupaFan, Sep 25, 2004.

1. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Hatcher, I used to live in an apartment on top of a mom and pop drugstore right next to the Gentilly Theater...where the moviegoer went in the novel.

Walker Percy lived in Covington and, although I don't know them, his family still lives there and used to run a bookstore there.

2. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

I did this as well for a long time until Peter Jackson made those damned (awesome) movies.

LOTR is a bit of an obsession with me, I guess.

Tried the Silmarillion a few times but just can't get deep enough into it to carry me through. I think had JRR written it, it would have enough character development to make it compelling. As much of a LOTR nut as I am, I just cant get past the first 50 pages or so.

3. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Just finished Storm Front by Jim Butcher - oddly enough a story about modern day wizards. martin will be happy to know it's fiction :lol:.

Hated it.

But I gave it a shot.

4. burlesontiger

burlesontiger Founding Member

I picked up a copy of The Gangs of New York a few weeks ago in the airport in Buffalo. It's a non-fiction, orginally published in the '20s, but reprinted after the movie came out a few years ago (which is loosely based on the book). Kind of an interesting history of the New York underworld of the 1800s. My only problem is that I only seem to have time to read on airplanes and in airports, so I haven't finished it yet.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

try this, i had to use the audio book for it the first time, because it was hard to get through it, because its basically a bunch of collected stories. Kind of like a history book if you will. It's a hell of alot easier to read now.

Amazon.com: The Silmarillion (9780553456066): J. R. R. Tolkien, Martin Shaw: Books

there are also torrents out there of this, and on youtube if you don't want to pay for it.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Exactly. I almost responded earlier when someone mentioned reading Lord of the Rings multiple times. I've read it about six times over 40 years and I pick up new things each time. The first time you get so caught up in the adventure that you fly through the side stories, skip the songs, ignore the other languages, and skim across the references to the elder days and such. The last time I read it I poured through all of that and even the lists of kings in the appendices, discovering hat I could translate many of the names from a rudimentary understanding of several of the middle earth languages.

Just last year on a long trip, I took along an unabridged audiobook of LOTR and discovered even more. I have always been a very fast reader and have pretty good comprehension, but still comprehension drops when you read faster, even for the best of us. But listening to the steady narration, I was surprised at how many little details, nuances, and subtle clues I had overlooked.

These days I'm having fun examining familiar old movies now available in 1080p. I see loads of stuff that I missed before. Not just things that were offscreen in the old formats, but details in the background that were not sharp enough to perceive before.

7. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

I'm the same way, just couldn't get into it. Currently back to The Witching Hour by Anne Rice, mixed with Double Indemnity by James Cain.

8. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i need to reread the witching hour. that is one that you could definitely pick up things missed the first time!

9. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

Definately. Espescially with the family history that takes up roughly half of it. Either you miss something there, or you forget some details from the beginning. Guilty on both counts:)

10. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

I don't usually reread anything. I just saw a special on TV about the Odyssey and it renewed my interest. I was young when I read it and don't really remember much and I'm sure I missed a lot.