US Politics What has Israel done for the USA?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex_B, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

I've always been baffled as to why most people have a love-affair with Israel that isn't religion based.

So I'm trying to find out what exactly Israel has done for us other than be our "friend". And I'm still not even sure why we say that.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

They buy our weapons

3. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

With the money we give them..

HalloweenRun and MLUTiger like this.
  4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

They gave us Jeebus. They killed him first though.

StaceyO and HalloweenRun like this.
  5. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Cultural ties, shared commitment to modern democracy, surely economic ties and a powerful lobby in the USA. Not to mention, a pro-western democracy in the middle of the most anti-American region on Earth is extremely advantageous.

It's easy to buy into the Hamas' controlled media war and the likely false death and casualty statistics. I don't buy it. Israel has been an ally of the US and has never waivered in voicing support of the US. They provide the US with a great temporary haven for the CIA to do what they do in that region.

Bengal B likes this.
  6. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

is anything you say not a talking point from the national republican committee.

MLUTiger and red55 like this.
  7. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

So what is it exactly that they have done for US?

8. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

It isn't what have they done for us but who they are.

Israel is basically there as a result of guilt over the holocaust. After WW2 there was a big push to find a place for the Jews. The "return" of Jews to the holy land had started around the turn of the century and gathered steam. However it still wasn't a done deal until 1948 and the first Arab Israeli war.

The US was the prime support in the international community. As has happened before since we staked them we have felt a responsibility to support them. @LSUMASTERMIND that has been a policy of both Rs & Ds including President Obama and they all use the same reasons you call Republican talking points. There is little partisan divide on the issue, though some left wing show some of the classic western European upper class anti Semitism in their position.

That being said they have been both an aide and a pain in the ass. They have been a bulwark for us in the ME providing intelligence we couldn't receive elsewhere. In the 1950's, 60's & 70's they were an important balance to the somewhat pro Soviet Arabs in Egypt & Syria. They have also been able to do things we either couldn't or wouldn't such as bomb reactors. There is a moral as well strategic interest. They were for most of the time David vs the Arab Goliath and from a population perspective they still are.

Israel is a pain in the ass as they take what ever steps they feel is important to their survival and damn what any one says. This often recently makes them seem the bully (and they do overstep sometimes). It should be remembered the whole culture of the Arab ME is pointed at the destruction of Israel and extermination of the Jews in the ME. I believe they see themselves at great risk until more Arab states than Jordan & Egypt recognize them. Remember even in extremis today the leader of Hamas says on TV he will never recognize Israel.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    Bengal B likes this.
  9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Support of Israel shouldn't be a liberal vs conservative or Democrat vs Republican issue. Like @Winston1 said they can be both a great ally and a pain in the ass. Sort of like your little brother.
    Israel is a democracy in the middle of an area full of 8th century people with 20th century weapons.
    In the interest of their own survival they can and will do things that are in our best interests that we wouldn't do. Such as if the Israeli government felt it in their best interests to take out Iran's nuclear reactors they would and could do it. We wouldn't but a nuclear free Iran is in our best interests.

The difference between Israel and its surrounding nations: Israel is a diversified democracy with Jews, Christians and even Muslims living in relative harmony and peacefully. When the three Israeli youths were murdered the people of Gaza cheered in the streets. When a Muslin youth was murdered in a "revenge killing" the people of Israel widely condemned the act. That's the difference between a modern civilized people and a bunch of savages.

Winston1 likes this.
  10. xlnsports

xlnsports Cajun In Exile

Just Curious what countries have done anything for us lately ?

StaceyO likes this.