What dual threat QBs are we facing from here on out?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Sep 13, 2009.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

It's obvious from last nights game that LSU has no propensity for stopping or even slowing down a running QB.

Except for Tebow obviously, who else in the SEC that we face is a dual threat QB?

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Every team has trouble with running quarterbacks. That's the whole idea.

3. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

looks to me like we handled that running QB pretty well last night.

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT
    L. Smith 11/24 88 3.7 0 1

CAR YDS AVG TD LG
    L. Smith 13 -6 -0.5 1 9

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

well, Georgia, Bama, Ole Miss, and Arkansas all have pocket passers. Florida has Tebow, Auburn has one in Kodi Burns, but they have been playing Chris Todd. Don't know about Miss State or any of the high school teams we play either.

5. tenebrism

tenebrism Founding Member

exactly. istl man, you're getting pretty down on this team.

i really left that game yesterday feeling a whole lot better about them. they controlled that game start to finish and gave up pretty much zero yards to their qb on the ground.

i'd say we did pretty damn good on containment.

6. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Miss St. is putting in a spread offense this season under their new coaching staff so I'd imagine there will be more effort to run with their QB. Whether or not they have the specific type of QB to run their offense right now, you can bet that they will be targetting dual-threat QB's moving forward.

But like Red said: Everyone has trouble containing running QB's.

The best way to contain/prevent big plays from a running QB is to get better at what we have been subpar at thus far: Have your DE's not over-pursue at the LOS. Our young DE's have broken their containment lanes and just "over-crashed" down on the line allowing the runner to bounce it outside.

It's a youth mistake and will eventually get fixed. We should get another good look at a spread offense this week against UL-Lafayette. No, they don't have the caliber of players that Wash or Vandy have, but they just beat K-State and don't think they won't relish in ANY aspect of the game that makes us look bad (including something simple as moving the ball at will against us).

7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

smith wasnt a dual threat, all he could do was run. (granted, this was mostly because of his receivers)

there had been grumblings about uga playing their dual threat qb logan grey, but who knows.

8. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

What about Ole Miss, thought Snead was supposedly fairly mobile?

9. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Smith looked like a pretty good QB to me. Patient, good on the run, accurate. He had a lot of passes dropped.

10. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

Garcia from South Carolina is also a dual threat QB. Every team will have trouble with them. LSU could do a better job though with containment once the DEs dont over pursue and the LBs take better angles. LSU did a much better job last night though. A dual threat is alwasy going to be a headache though.