What does it mean to be conservative and Republican today?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Winston1, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

There has been a lot of conversation and argument between people identifying themselves as Republicans and conservatives. So I ask what are the principles you stand by to call yourself the above? I’m not asking who you support or who you oppose but what are the guidelines you use to make you decisions. What do you consider to be the fundamentals of how you look at life, community and politics?
    Finally I don’t want name calling or attacks on people just because you disagree with someone. What I hope is that we all debate these ideas and learn why we take positions. That doesn’t mean we sing kum-by-ya together. Challenge each other but use ideas to support your argument.
    I’ll follow up with my position. I hope we use this to learn rather declare victory and/or condemn those we disagree with.

2. watson1880

watson1880 Founding Member

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I'm for what's right and against what's wrong.

BAY0U BENGAL and Winston1 like this.
  4. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

5. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

And what does that mean? How do you know what’s right and what’s wrong? Is right and wrong immutable? Is what was right 250years ago still the same today? If so how do you justify slavery or a franchise limited to property owning white men excluding all women most blacks and in fact many white men?

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Most people would say the same thing no matter where they are on the political spectrum. I don't worry about things in the distant past. Everybody now would agree that slavery was bad but were all slave owners bad people? Was George Washington an evil man? Was Thomas Jefferson?

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Lol, that might be what YOU stand for personally but that’s not what the Republican Party stands for.

And before I save this edit, try responding without using the word Democrat. Clinton or Obama

8. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

Small government and personal responsibility. Unless you want to: gamble, take drugs, pay for/sell sex, buy alcohol on Sunday, marry a fellow consenting adult of your same gender.

Curbing government spending.....just kidding!

Guns.

shane0911 likes this.
  9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Aren't you for what's right and against what's wrong? We might disagree on some of the things we consider right and wrong and disagreed on others. I don't give a shit about any political party. They are all bad.

10. watson1880

watson1880 Founding Member

I use to be a republican and likely still agree with 90% of the platform, too long and boring to read, but republicans stopped being republicans a long time ago. I am still registered a 'R', but lean to more conservative ideals...
    "The conservative movement is a term that describes the process through which control of the Republican Party has been taken by people with strong feelings in favor of robust national defense, low taxes, minimum government regulation, and traditional social values."