What about the Mormon thing?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by red55, Sep 6, 2012.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Both parities are steering clear of this issue but religious conservative who flocked to Bush and McCain are deeply suspicious of Mormons and consider it to be a cult. Can the GOP afford to lose this vote?

And non-religious swing voters. Will they shy away at a very religious Mormon saint in charge of the country?

This could be a non-issue as John Kennedy's Catholicism turned out to be. Or it could be the issue that no one discusses?

2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Personally, I think it's a non issue.

3. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Good question and a clue may be had right here in Louisiana. If you rememmber when Jindal ran in the first primary voter turnout was light and he was forced into a run off. While there was conversation that the light turnout may have been due to the election falling on the 1st day of hunting there was also speculation it was because he was Indian.
    I doubt it will change votes to BHO but it may supress the conservative vote.

4. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Nah,

I know a few firm Democrats, liberal to the core, that are voting strictly based on Catholic beliefs, abortion.

I think to many people look into to many different things.

It will be the economy and who the people think can best rectify our situation. Obama has the slight lead and I see no evidence of him being voted out, however I do believe it will be much closer than some people expect.

5. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

A recent poll showed that 28% of the electorate stated that they would not vote for a Mormon. Obviously, it didn't break that down by political party but my guess would be that the majority of them are conservatives/evangelicals because, as Red pointed out, they view Mormonism as a cult. Personally I think it really shouldn't matter that he is a Mormon; it should be about his stance on the issues. Honestly, 28% seems a little high to me but if even 10% of Republicans do not vote because of his religion the election will be a landslide.

6. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

Mormons and Israel

2 things that have nothing to do with this country.

Tiger in NC likes this.
  7. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

I think it is trivial. Republicans are split on much more important issues like morality (abortion), isolationism/interventionism, gay marriage.... The traditionalist foundation is crumbling. Neoconservatism is waining. Libertarian views are spoken louder than ever. Republicans face a crisis of identity.

The only thing they can agree upon is that Obama must go.

8. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

non issue, thats identity politics, republicans played that in 2008. Although Mitt is doing it in a nondescript way now with the bullshit, welfare to work lie that he is pushing. Thats kind like the wink and the nod to white working class folks.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I think if people actually came out and said things like Mormons don't believe Mary was a virgin, that God came down like Zeus and bow chicka wow wow, with Mary to create Jesus, all these nutty ass christians would start to think twice. But then they would again say well, that damn Obama is a muslim terrorist, and probably vote Romney anyway.

HalloweenRun likes this.
  10. martin

martin Banned Forever

religious people can be strangely tolerant of opposing religions sometimes. polls indicate that americans would rather elect a muslim than an atheist. and muslims are terrorists!