Weekend Marsh Trip

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by KyleK, Mar 4, 2016.

1. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

My aunt was in from New Mexico last week. This lady loves to fish more than anyone I know. My brother in law arranged a trip for us down to Delacroix. We fought muddy water all day long until we finally made a run over to Four Horse Lake. We picked specs up at a pretty decent clip there, but MaryAnn was just not having any luck. Finally she hooked up with a couple small specs, but no keepers. Then, after a 15 minute fight, this guy:

[​IMG]

You talk about one thrilled 82 year old! After pics, she gave him a kiss and put him back.

[​IMG]

Man, you talk about a nice rig, this is his boat:

[​IMG]

I guess if I had been smart, I would've given @jvalhenson a call on where to find some of those white trout!

Tiger in NC likes this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

How much did the redfish weigh?

3. KyleK

We didn't weigh it. He was 32 inches, but with all of the long fight and all of the pics she wanted, it was time to get it back in the water. I would guess 20-25 pounds maybe?

Besides a tuna we put her on about 10 years ago, she said this is the largest fish she has ever caught. It was a hoot watching her.

4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Why isn't it fileted right now?

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Looks about the size of one my nephew caught when he was 10 that weighed 22 pounds. Can't find the pic right now.

How do you know it's not? Redfish that size don't taste as good as the smaller ones but one that size is good on the grill. Fillet but leave the skin on and put the fish on the other end of the pit away from the coals so it cooks slowly.

6. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Because he said they put it back. WTF? Put it back in the ice chest right?

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

That's my way of catch and release. Catch and release into my ice chest and later release into a hot oil

8. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

For the whites just put some skimp squid or cut bait on bottom on any shell reef or rubble pile in 6-20ft of water right now and should get plenty. I don't fish over that way but I'm sure it all works about the same.

KyleK likes this.
  9. KyleK

You can only keep one over 27", but I never keep any of the big ones. They are the breeding stock and they just don't taste as good. We had plenty of specs and will be going a lot in the coming months.

I got the impression you were more in the bays than the marshes. We'll have to get over your way one of these weekends, it's about the same amount of driving.

10. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

I fish back bay some but mostly only in the late fall. Spring through summer and most of fall I generally stay out front