Was it just me or........

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by 65Grad, Jan 1, 2023.

1. 65Grad

65Grad Maturity is Overrated

I watched a lot of football this bowl season and thought the officiating mostly sucked. Making me believe that the SEC officials aren't as bad as I thought, more like they're about average.:eek:

tigermark and msully like this.
  2. msully

msully Founding Member

$$$ calls . Makes me they are betting on the games

Richdog likes this.
  3. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

I also watched more bowl games this year and there were a lot of bad calls. However, I usually give them a break
    because it's extremely difficult to catch every infraction when you have 22 moving parts.

KyleK likes this.
  4. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

I think that the game is harder to officiate than it was 30 years or so ago. The pace of the game is quicker than it was then with much more passing than running. The shift to the passing greatly increases the amount of offensive holding and of pass interferencecalls. Additionally, the increased televising of games and the of instant replay puts officiating under a microscope. Nobody noticed some of the missed calls then.

mctiger, HalloweenRun and Herb like this.
  5. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Excellent points but missed/botched calls were always noticed, just werent readily provable.

Ill add one thing that really bothers me. Since officials are now told to err on side of caution on TOs, should the test for over ruling still be indisputable proof?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
  6. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

In fairness to the on field officials should all reviews be in real time instead of slow motion and freeze frame?

mctiger and KyleK like this.
  7. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

I feel like officiating is horrible in all sports, both college and professional.

HalloweenRun likes this.
  8. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I’ve BEEN trying to tell you all that EVERY conference thinks their officiating sucks.

9. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I’ve thought for a longtime that the game, both pro and college, has gotten away from the officials. Whether offensive line holding, defensive pass interference, any of the touching the QB fouls, or targeting, there is just too much going on, at too high a speed for the current crew to adequately deal with. I don’t know if the answer is more (or fewer) officials, better technology , or what, but the current mis-match leads to lots of blown calls. Don’t see it getting better.

10. DeeDee

DeeDee Veteran Member

Hey, let's pay them to be great and they will be.