voting machines in America

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Jul 30, 2017.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

shane0911 likes this.
  3. Rex

Rex Founding Member

I've been crying about these black box voting machines for years now.

We need a system where the electronic voting machines print paper ballots, the voter reads over the paper to make sure it's recorded correctly, the voter then deposits the paper ballot into a collection box, and those ballots are counted as the official vote count. In the meantime, the electronic machines can be used for preliminary results.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Paper ballots have been around for a long time. If we're going to use them then why do we need machines at all? Machines would be OK as long as they are not connected to the internet and subject to hacking.

KyleK likes this.
  5. Rex

Rex Founding Member

We don't really. Other countries get quick results without them. They might help for voter assistance, quick data, and vote count corroboration but I'm not sure they're worth the hassle or expense.

6. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

Vote by mail, paper ballots, that's the best way.

HalloweenRun likes this.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Except for the fact that the USPS is incompetent and there is no guarantee that the mail will be delivered.

8. GiantDuckFan

In Oregon on election day, election officials go to the post office and collect the remaining ballots when the polls close at 8pm. I'm telling ya, it runs like clockwork, you've got 2+ weeks to fill out the ballot, and no hassle standing in line on election day,.. if you don't trust the mail, bring it to the courthouse or drop site like I've always done.

Oregon always has one of the highest voter turnouts in the nation, and the system is much less expensive and more secure than using voting machines.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    LaSalleAve and kcal like this.
  9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

That's half the battle if the mail carrier who is supposed to pick it up from the mailboxes and drop boxes and deliver it to the court house doesn't fuck up.

Recently I returned something I bought to get a refund using Priority Mail so I could track it. Was delivered to the post office in Tampa and put on a truck for delivery. Then it disappeared and I am out over $100 because of the USPS. They said they were investigating and when I heard nothing and called them again they said it was still under investigation. Right! In the fucking cold case files.

10. GiantDuckFan

Sorry for your pain :) Like I said, if you don't trust the mail, use the drop boxes,.. those are only opened by election officials. People can also check online to make sure their ballot was counted.

Wiki: Vote-by-mail in Oregon has maintained a high level of support since it was passed in 1998. A survey done in 2003 shows that 81% of respondents favored the vote-by-mail system. 19% favored voting at the polls. The poll also shows high favorability among both registered Democrats (85%) and Republicans (76%). 30% of respondents said they voted more often since vote-by-mail was enacted

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017