News Voter ID Requirement

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUTiga, Nov 2, 2014.

1. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Nothing is more disgusting than seeing a long line of voters, get off a bus, get in line with their multi-colored cards telling them who to vote for. Worse, the cards are provided by tax exempt "churches." That to me is a million times worse than requiring an ID.

I would opine that if one lacks the intelligence to vote on ones own, their vote is probably not gonna promote the common good.

2. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

So you're saying that poor people who can't afford a car shouldn't be allowed to vote? As for the cheat sheets, they all come in different shapes and sizes. Poor, black people in buses get paper from their minister. Rich, white people get video from Fox News.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I understand what you are trying to say. You drive to the polls and get one vote, but Reverend Feelgood drives to the polls with 25 votes. But here are the problems . . .

Everybody has a right to vote, not everybody has a car. One person-one vote. Can't see how a bus is an issue.

Carrying a cheat sheet to the polls is something many people do. The parties offer them, the newspapers offer them, candidates offer them, churches offer them. I used one to keep track of the dozen or so amendments we have to vote on this year and for minor candidates (Who can remember school board members names?) People can still vote for whoever they wish in that booth. I see no disgust with a voting card, they have been around since the printing press came to North America.

I have never understood why the God merchants get a tax-free status not enjoyed by other profitable businesses. It should be abolished. On the other hand, the Constitution grants us the freedom to associate. I see no problem with churches or any other social or political organization organizing efforts to get out the vote.

4. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

a pitiful example of someone been put through the ringer to vote after she has voted legally all her life without any problem. The system didnt work and If you are too dense to see that then, Im sorry your understand is poor. The system allowed an exception because its flawed from the start.

5. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

how is that any different from a preacher who steps into the pulpit and tells his congregation who to vote for? or who the "conservative judges" are?

Answer: None.

6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I agree. I use a cheat sheet (sample ballot pamphlet), but it's my own, not one that anybody gave me. I would prefer someone demonstrate a basic understanding of how our government works/history of US government almost more than demonstrating legal ID.
    Clinton worked the baptist circuit to his advantage better than any candidate I can recall.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

That would be disenfranchisement.

8. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Obviously we would never do it. But here's why we should consider it....

Can't answer questions about the Civil War, who the VP is, when or from whom we gained independence, but they know all about Snookie and Brad Pitt.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Nobody who watches Honey Boo Boo should be allowed to vote

10. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Seriously. Who won the Civil War and one idiot asks "who was in it"? OMG. Shoot yourself. Now.

Bengal B likes this.