News Voter ID Requirement

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUTiga, Nov 2, 2014.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

What is the big deal? Where I vote we must show ID. I cannot imagine NOT having to show ID.

How can anyone NOT have an ID? Should be law.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I have mixed feelings, unsurprisingly.

It is difficult to imagine that millions of people could function in this country without identification. You need an ID to register at a hotel, rent a car, buy a house, buy liquor, open a bank account, to cash a check, get a hunting license or buy a gun, to enter many government buildings, donate blood, get on an airplane, get married, apply for mediocre or social security, or check out a book. Even poor people. To get welfare or food stamps one is required to produce identification such as a birth certificate, medicaid ID, tax records, employer documentation, etc. But most just use a drivers license or state ID card because it's easier than producing a bunch of original paperwork. Who doesn't have ID in this country? Go out and get an ID card and simplify your life.

On the other hand . . . I also don't understand why the right wing is so adamant that picture ID is suddenly a vital necessity to vote when it hasn't been needed for over 200 years of American history. Voter fraud is extremely rare in this country.

This seems like one of those phony issues that we let divide us. Some civil rights activists think some little old ladies are being disfranchised, while some conservative politicians fear that illegal immigrants might get to vote against them. Meanwhile most of the rest of the country doesn't really give a rat's ass.

Winston1 and Tiger in NC like this.
  3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I am quite a few years over 21 but the other day at a Circle K the girl behind the counter asked to see my ID when I was buying a 12 pack of beer. I joked around and told her I didn't have one but didn't she have eyes? Couldn't she see that my hair is gray? She refused to sell me the beer until I showed my license to her.

4. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

The flip side is that it isn't racist to need an ID to drive, but if you needed an ID to vote, its racist.

LSUTiga and Bengal B like this.
  5. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

I agree with Red on this one; it's a bit conflicting. On the surface it seems logical to require an id to vote but given the context in which all of these voter id laws were implemented it is obvious that this is a thinly veiled attempt by Republicans to limit voter turnout. It is no secret that due to changing demographics Republicans must rely upon a low voter turnout in order to win.

When you are the side that needs fewer people to vote in order to win an election, there is a problem with your ideas.

6. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Please prove any of what you just spewed.

7. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Oh I definitely agree that Republicans ARE using it to limit votes, I just don't understand why in the hell anyone wanting to stop them from doing so just doesn't go get an ID, if they don't have one. Again, I don't see how they can NOT have one. Like red, I also mentioned buying alcohol then retracted cause that assumes everyone drinks. He gave many other situations they're needed.

Like I said, it's ALWAYS been a requirement where I vote and the poll workers know me by name, and many others who vote there. They STILL will not let us vote without presenting ID. One is a neighbor.

8. Tiger in NC

I've always had to present some form of ID as well. I bring my voter registration card and they compare that to my drivers license and find my name on the roles and give me my ballot. This will be a long term negative on the Republicans IMO because of the selective nature of the required voter id's. Texans are allowed to present the gun permits but college students at state universities cannot use their student id's, which is as blatant as it gets.

9. Tiger in NC

I do not have to prove any of what I just "spewed." Hell, even Tiga acknowledges that voter ID laws are meant to disenfranchise certain slices of the population.....and it just so happens those slices are heavy Democrat voting blocs. In Texas you can present your gun permit but not your student id. There are ample examples like this one to illustrate the obvious nature of the laws. As I said before, I have no issue with presenting my ID when I vote but let's not be confused about the intent of voter id laws because it ain't about voting integrity pal. If you think it is then I have some ocean front to sell you in Colorado.

10. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

The whole thing is really weird to me, too. Here in Texas, it must be a matter of limiting illegal immigrants from voting. When I voted in Louisiana, I always had to show a photo ID and never thought anything of it.

In fact, until they started talking about voter ID laws in Texas, I honestly didn't realize I didn't need one. I always threw one out regardless out of habit, and the poll workers always looked at the ID.

Last week, when I was early voting here, I produced an extremely out-dated voter registration card (I didn't realize we'd been mailed a new one), but my drivers' license confirmed who I was and my address.