Vick Accepts Plea Deal

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by clair, Aug 20, 2007.

1. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

From what I can infer, Goodell makes a sophisticated distinction between short term profitability and long term profitability. In the short term, you can have guys with bad character around, as they make the games more interesting. However, in the long term, the league runs a legitimate risk of marginalizing itself if it's associated with "professionals" that are viewed by the general public as criminals or thugs.

I think this is a remarkable breakthrough for a pro sports commissioner, and can understand his logic. His logic is even better now that sports fans like me (ones that generally don't care about off-field stuff) are increasingly becoming a minority.

2. lsugrad00

lsugrad00 Founding Member

Exactly, I think that if it were left up to the individual teams there is no doubt that Chris Henry, Tank Johnson, Adam Jones, and Mike Vick would all be playing for someone for the exact reasons that Casey posted. No one is going to turn away talent especially talent that can fill the seats and deliver wins.

Goodell's player discipline policies are preventing the short term goals of the individual teams from hurting long term success of the league as a whole.

3. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Gang, I just dont see Vick coming back unless he's several seasons removed from this fiasco. There is no way missing just one season is going to work. There isnt a team out there who could spin a PR campaign that would allow the fan base and general public to accept Vick back in the spotlight as a revered athlete. Not a chance.

Right or wrong Vick is going to be made an example of. Goodell is pi$$ed that Vick BS'ed him and the birds aren't any happier either. Blank is going to go full steam ahead after Vicks signing bonus money and will probably get it. I cant think of a more stupid thing Vick could have done. He has lost his endorsement career, possibly his entire NFL career and permanently cemented his legacy.

I see Goodell handing down an indefinite suspension which could mean a few seasons or lifetime. I dont see Goodell making a concrete decision about Vick until he can detect how the wind of public perception is blowing. If he sets a date for Vicks return he is risking an enormously bad PR campaign that could stain the league terribly. He isn't going to put the NFL in that position. He will hedge his bet with the indefinite suspension which will allow him to make it permanent or temporary at a later date.

1 person likes this.
  4. lsufaninmiss

lsufaninmiss GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great post, I agree with you.

5. clair

clair Rockets

it's called winning.

fans are blinded when it's something for their home team.

just like how if reggie bush had this exact same situation, we'd naturally try to defend him.

if fans think deep down the player will help the home-team win, then they will convince themselves to accept him.

6. lsufaninmiss

lsufaninmiss GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not me, if anyone on the :lsup: team did that, I could not and would not support that player.

1 person likes this.
  7. DRC

DRC TigerNator

We're not talking about Manning, Brady or even McNabb. We are taking about a player who has as many turnovers as touchdowns. Vick isnt "that good" to warrant an entire fan base rallying behind an owner who would want to sign this thug and buck what would be enormous public backlash.

No, if Vick comes back...and thats a big if, it sure as heck wont be next year. "Maybe" he can worm his way back into the league in a few years but its still a tall order for him regardless. At this point I dont see it happening.

8. lsugrad00

lsugrad00 Founding Member

me too.

1 person likes this.
  9. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Even if Ricky or Rickey did such a horrible thing, NLMD couldn't support them.

1 person likes this.
  10. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

add me to that list. the thought of anyone putting winning over that sort of barbaric and cruel behavior is disgusting and repulsive.