Utah hospital nurse is roughed up and arrested by cop for doing her job

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by el005639, Sep 1, 2017.

1. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

In many rural areas, especially out west, many cops have phlebotomy training for this purpose.

Louisiana Law on this matter: http://www.legis.la.gov/legis/law.aspx?d=88503

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Serial killer Dexter was a blood analyst for the Miami police department but he wasn't a cop.

LSUfan71 likes this.
  3. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

Again, IF the legal aspects of the arrest were legit, then the actual physical use of force was appropriate. Now to address the legitimate aspects of this, see my next response...

Yes, he should have first said "You're under arrest". I listed to it again and did not hear him say that. He said, "We're done". That will be a problem for the cop. Him not saying this would be an additional problem on top of whether he had a proper legal position on obtaining the blood sample. I thought I read somewhere that he had a phlebotomist present to draw the blood but I can't seem to find that again.

It's irrelevant to this issue but a cop detaining a person vs arresting a person is the exact same thing. The word arrest means 'detain'. He released her a short while later after he decided that she wouldn't be charged, but this leaves him open to a civil suit if the use of force was inappropriate. A person may be arrested & released without being criminally charge but it should be a rare thing to see. Legal precedent has been established that a person may be detained for up to one hour without being charged, contrasting with some countries where this could be several days or longer...

This is probly true.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If the nurse files a civil suit and if there is a jury it's about 100% certain that the jury will be a lot more sympathetic to the nurse than the cop. Most civil suits are heard by a judge who make the ruling but I think there is the option to have a jury if one side of the conflict requests it.

LSUfan71 likes this.
  5. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

Must suck being an LSU fan and a cop in Mississippi.

For several years I handled security on the field for Mike VI, and for his trip back to his cage after kickoff. In the video that's me behind the cage.

[​IMG]

BAY0U BENGAL likes this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Hey Paul Blart! Great you could take the time off from your mall cop duties.

LSUfan71 likes this.
  7. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Seems the nurse should have paged the duty administrator as soon as she sensed an issue. Way above her pay grade. On a positive note, I expect she and her lawyer will end up with a nice check.

BAY0U BENGAL likes this.
  8. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

Now it comes together. Hope he has fun talking to the DOJ. I would love to be able to read the transcript of the deposition that is undoubtedly going to happen.

So the arrest is illegal, the force is excessive. What an idiot.

GregLSU likes this.
  9. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

Man, you have no idea. I wish I could remember the captains name at LSU PD that I went to a class with in Gonzalez a few years back. That guy was great.

LSUfan71 likes this.
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Good thing the nurse was white. If she had been black he might have shot her.