USC Investigation and Sanctions

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by watson1880, May 13, 2010.

1. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

ok. just making sure you weren't talking about "love those shoes and the matching handbag is divine" department. :hihi:

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

No direct benefit, but huge and tangible real benefit.

It will be hard to deny a lack of institutional control if USC claims no knowledge of agents stalking their players. It happens everywhere. LSU and other schools have filed charges against unscrupulous agents and have suspended players suspected of agent contact. USC is going to have to show that they actively were trying to police this widely-known problem. They do have a compliance office that seems to have failed badly. In football as well as basketball.

If USC skates on this it will allow other schools to turn a blind eye towards agent activities.

3. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

I agree. The NCAA is in a tight spot here, if they let USC walk, they set a defacto standard for all the other schools. Just how brazen does the NCAA want everyone to become? They need to come down fairly hard.

4. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Where does it say that the NCAA has to hand out equal justice? When did this reputation of handing out equal justice begin? Yesterday? There certainly is no record of holding different universities to the same standard or handing out fair and equal penalties for similar crimes.

5. OkieTigerTK

kinda what i was thinking. fair has never been in their vocabulary before. why should they start now?

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Because there is a giant spotlight on them and a dozen or so disgruntled formerly sanctioned schools howling for justice . . . and perhaps willing to take it to court.

7. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

I think the widespread use of these message boards, and people's ability to search for and find information on the net using Google, shine a much brighter light on activities than in the past. The average Joe on the street is so much better informed of exactly what is going on. In the Bush case, there is no doubt his parents were the beneficiaries of his sports skills. Everybody is watching, the decision will be picked apart by everyone under the sun. I think that brings a level of scrutiny and pressure that did not exit 15 years ago.

8. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I think this delay in announcing sanctions is because the NCAA is actually posturing to defend themselves in the lawsuits filed by schools that the NCAA came down on hard.
    Can you imagine the outcry of the schools that file lawsuits when they get sanctioned again? There will be open revolution. Maybe there will be a new sanctioning body after mass succession.

I bet the NCAA is rethinking and revisiting the "slap on the wrist" they've obviously decided to award USC.

:popcorn: Someone wake me up when they finally announce the sanctions please.

9. OkieTigerTK

ok, rip van winkle.

10. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I'm probably more like rip van "wrinkle" :grin: