USC Investigation and Sanctions

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by watson1880, May 13, 2010.

1. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

What rock have you been hiding under the last 20 years Red? LSU basketball got the death penalty for a the accusation of a $5,000 dollar gift from a donor that ended up being false. Michigan players(fab 5) were paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a charge that wasn't denied and they got a slap on the wrist. It has absolutely nothing to do with guilt or innocence. The NCAA has repeatedly shown itself to be the most corrupt organization on the planet.

2. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Funny you should bring this up.

I used to be a personal chef for many of the Hornets (pre Katrina) and one of my favorite players that I cooked for was Robert "Tractor" Traylor....a super guy and family man who came up from poverty in Detroit and was one of the "fab five".

He told me that If someone has a rich uncle, who could help finance your living expenses while you had a scholarship, and you agreed to pay your uncle back, when you graduated and got your first job...and you did, in fact, pay your uncle back as promised....no one would think anything of it. In fact, everyone would think it was an honorable thing for the rich uncle to lend you the money and for you to pay him back as promised.

Robert confided in me and told me..."I didn't have a rich uncle."

(I really miss Robert and his family. He took care of a lot of his extended family. He's a real honorable man.)

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Me under a rock? For your information, LSU basketball did NOT get the death penalty. And Lester Earl did get the $5,000. WTF are you talking about? :insane:

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

The Fab 5 was Chris Webber, Jalen Rose, Jimmy King, Ray Jackson, and Juwan Howard. I think Traylor came after they did.

5. TwistedTiger

You obviously didn't follow LSU basketball after the sanctions. $5,000 from a booster and NCAA cripples program is equal to boosters give hundreds of thousands of dollars to multiple players and program gets a slap on the hand? WTF are you talking about?:insane:

6. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I bet they didn't have rich uncles either...:grin:.

Now that you mention it, you're right...he wasn't one of the fab five. Thanks for pointing that out. He did get Michigan in trouble though and here's more info on him about that from wikkipedia.

Traylor was one of the former Michigan players whose ties to booster Ed Martin roiled the program. During his freshman year, Traylor broke his arm in a car accident while out with teammates and recruiting prospect Mateen Cleaves (who ended up going to rival Michigan State). That accident triggered a six-year investigation into the Wolverine program. Martin, who died in 2003 at 69, pleaded guilty in 2002 to conspiracy to launder money and told federal prosecutors he took gambling money, combined it with other funds and lent $616,000 to Traylor, Chris Webber and two other Wolverine players dating to when they were still in high school.[1] Traylor received three years' probation.[2]
    Due to NCAA violations connected to the case (principally the compromising of the amateur status of Traylor, Webber and Taylor), Michigan withdrew from consideration for the 2003 NCAA tournament, lost scholarships and was placed on probation. The school also vacated the records of every game in which Traylor played from its record book. Traylor also had to surrender his MVP award for the 1997 NIT, as well as his MVP award from the 1998 Big Ten tournament. Murray-Wright High School in Detroit, where Traylor played high school basketball, voluntarily forfeited its entire 1994-95 season (Traylor's senior season).

7. red55

Yeah, I've been under a rock. Keep telling that to yourself.

That's not what I questioned . . . :huh:

You said that LSU got the death penalty, which is not true. LSU received sanctions, the NCAA did not stop the program from competing. That has only been done 5 times and LSU is not one of them.

You also said that it wasn't true Lester Earl received the $5,000. Only it is. The NCAA set it all up to embarrass their loud critic, Dale Brown and the whole affair was a crock. But Earl did get paid by a booster or LSU could have beaten the rap.

8. PURPLE TIGER

PURPLE TIGER HOPE is not a strategy!

I don't have a problem with another BCS title coming to the SEC. Refresh my memory though...didn't we get screwed at Auburn in 2004 and 2006? Can we put an asterik by their title?...and one next to Alabama's for all the help they received this year. :grin:

Pac-1?...or Pac-None! :hihi:

9. TwistedTiger

Getting slow in your old age, I can understand that. I know LSU didn't get THE death penalty, it was an exaggeration although not by much. Many LSU fans feel that the penalties were indeed a death penalty in many ways. I understand that you think the NCAA is fair and will treat USC in a way comparable to everyone else. Go lay your head in Obama's lap and take a nap, before you injure your feeble mind.

10. red55

Translation: Yes, I was wrong and Red is right. :lol:

You understand nothing about what I think and you are simply making up an issue to argue against. :lol:

Did you sing the little "Nyah, nyah" song? :lol: